Flirts and talks

Ok, this chapter is a little random, I wrote it quickly, so...I don't know lol

CHAPTER 20 - FLIRTS AND OUTINGS

TARA'S POV

Rolling over on bed, I sighed, killing off the alarm. Another day, another routine, another relentless trail of maddening thoughts. By now I've gotten so used to it that I'm not even surprised.

As much as I'm not surprised that my first instinct was patting the nightstand to find my phone, and, once I'd checked it, sighing. Tons of mails and messages from work, some from friends, a couple from schools ... but not one, not a single one from the one person I would want.

Why am I even surprised? When it comes to me, Lukas has gone MIA. I'm not even allowed to know where he is or what he's doing, he talks solely to his kids, he won't talk to me even by chance. 

A couple of times I intercepted a call to Gloria's phone when she was under the shower or wherever ... not even the time to say hi, that he asked of her, I said where she was, and he curtly said he'd call back, then hung up, as if I were one of those annoying call center people that call at the worst moment. I guess it's a good thing, I did want him out of my life, didn't I?

With a sigh, I stood, ready to battle. I counted the minutes before it actually started. Let me tell you something, being a single career mom isn't easy. Especially not when you've got a daughter that's left everything to live her life instead of go to college, another one that's in the middle of the most dramatic years of her life ... high school, and a son that's trudging through middle school with one simple conviction: going to live with his daddy as soon as he comes back.

Yes, he's decided. My sweet boy Zach didn't waver one moment when he told me this. Said I have Gloria, on and off Nicky, when she comes back, but his daddy? He's got no one. So as soon as Lukas comes back, he's gonna pack his things and go live with him.

On one hand, I understand Zach just wants his dad not to be lonely, on the other hand ... well, it does stink to know your own son chooses to ditch you. I mean, I don't want to throw the I carried you in my belly for nine months and gave you life card, but ... it does hurt to see he won't even blink in picking his dad over his mom. I understand they've always had a tight bond, but still.

So as you can see, I do have my handfuls of drama. To top it all off, my job is even more stressing than the one before. You see, this way I shouldn't have even time to think of my ex husband, yet I do ... really stupid from my part, huh?

I put on my glasses and my slippers, pocketed my phone in my pajama, and headed downstairs, to start preparing breakfast.

It feels like time has flown by since that day. Two years, two entire years since Lukas and I divorced, two entire years since he came here to see his kids before taking leave, but didn't even consider saying as much of a goodbye, bitch to his freshly ex wife, I'd have settled even for a fuck off, you hoe, but ... nothing. Only, here are the divorce papers, get the kids. Like ... yeah, whatever, get out of my sight. So flattering, huh?

It's been two years since he promised he'd be back soon, yet he's not. I'd ask either Gloria or Zach, but the first one wouldn't answer, the other would get his hopes too high.

Then again, I shouldn't even care where my ex husband is and when will he come back. I'm fine, aren't I? Yes, I'm awfully stressed, but I'm fine, my life is ... normal, decent, the same as many divorcees, filled with family duties, nonstop work, and ... a flirt maybe. Pretty normal.

Flipping pancakes, I sighed. 20 years ago I'd have never said this would be my life. I mean, yeah, I was sure, or at least determined to have a successful career, and despite some bumps here and there, I have indeed achieved it, it's just ... the other side of what I expected that didn't really happen.