Chapter 22

Chapter 22

***

Over the next two weeks as Joe toured overseas in Europe and promoted the upcoming Extreme Rules pay-per-view, Val kept herself occupied by making final preparations for the twins' arrival with her mother's help. Following his two-week tour, Joe returned home on every opportunity for the anticipated birth of the twins. By May's end, he was out of patience, Val was fatigued, and there was no sign of the babies.

Wisely, the couple had scheduled Val's induction date to coincide with an end-of-the-month 4-day break for Joe. As Joe packed for his flight home, his heart raced with excitement. If everything went as planned, he'd be holding his children in his arms within forty-eight hours.

***

"Big Dog," Joe heard from behind him.

He turned to see Colby sprinting towards him. The two friends greeted each other with fist bumps and Colby accompanied him out to the parking lot to his rental.

"So, tomorrow's the big day, hunh?"

"Yeah, man."

"You excited?"

"Hell yeah, man. It's been a helluva journey. I'm ready, and I know Doll's ready. Her body's been under siege since September."

"Yeah, I can't even imagine what she's going through," Colby said. "At Mania, she looked like she swallowed a stability ball."

Joe laughed as an image of his very pregnant wife briefly popped into his head.

"Don't let her hear you say that shit out loud. She's so self-conscious right now," he warned as he loaded his luggage into the backseat.

"My lips are sealed," Colby advised, giving Joe a fist bump.

"I'll catch you when we get back."

"Alright, bro," Colby said, pointing at him. "Pictures, lots and lots of pictures."

"Of course."

The two friends parted ways, and Joe drove off of the parking lot, en route to the airport for his flight home to become a father for the second time.

***

"Honey, you have everything ready?" Cherie asked from the doorway of Joe and Val's bedroom.

"Yeah," Val answered," sitting on the bed and sighing.

Cherie entered the room and sat next to her.

"Are you OK?"

"Yeah, just a little nervous. I'm about to be a mother."

"And you're gonna be a great mother," Cherie said, giving Val's thigh a comforting pat.

"Thanks, Mom. And I appreciate everything you and Dad have done for us."

"Not a problem at all, sweetheart," Cherie replied, placing a lock of hair behind Val's ear. "I'm very proud of you, baby, and I love you."

"I love you, too, Mom."

The two shared a hug and Cherie stood from the bed.

"Finish up and let me know if you need me."

"I will. Thanks again, Mom."

"You're welcome, baby."

After Cherie had left the room, Val made a final call to ensure that Joe was on schedule for his return home. He confirmed his time of arrival and the couple parted with "I love yous."

***

Joe sat in his seat, jittery with a mixture of nervousness and excitement at the thought of seeing his children and his wife. It had been a week since he'd held Val in his arms. The memory of their last night together lingered in his mind, as did the scent of her Burberry perfume in his nostrils. Once the Boeing 737 had made it through the short phase of turbulence, he leaned his seat back and closed his eyes. He thought about his children, several notions bombarding him all at once. I hope they look like Val. She's so damn beautiful. They're probably gonna be firecrackers like her. I just know I'm gonna cry when I hold 'em. JoJo's finally getting her wish. God is so good.