Chapter 10

Chapter 10

***

With Joe's successful defense of the United States championship during a Hell in a Cell match at the like named pay-per-view against Rusev, everything for Joe was going as he'd hoped it would. Even though he and Val remained on two different brands, he'd come to terms with their separation. Their time in Lakeland had been fulfilling to say the least.

***

"I'm late."

"Say again?" Joe said, raising his brows at her.

Val cleared her throat and repeated.

"I'm late. Two weeks."

"Late for what?" Joe asked.

"Joe, baby," she said, impatiently sighing, "please keep up."

"No, I get it," he clarified, sitting next to her. "I just don't see how it's possible this soon. For you to be two weeks late, that means that-"

"I didn't take the last Plan B that you bought me when we were in Cincinnati."

"You didn't?"

Val shook her head and lowered her eyes, fidgeting with the hem of her cami top.

"In Little Rock, right before I ran into Mark, I had just thrown it away."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know, Joe," she said, standing and starting to pace the floor. "I was scared that you'd start pressuring me even more to get pregnant, and seeing Mark just made it even worse."

Joe stood from the bed and stepped in front of her to stop her pacing. He engulfed her in a hug and nestled his face in the crook of her neck and shoulder. He kissed her neck and breathed a soft sigh against her ear.

"Baby, I'm so sorry for stressing you out about this."

"I'm so scared, Joe," she said, starting to softly cry. "What if I'm not good enough?"

"Shh, you will be, Doll. Don't worry about nothin'. I gotchu, alright?" he assured her, cradling her head against his chest.

He held her until her tears had subsided enough for their conversation to continue.

"So, what now?" he asked.

Val went to her carry-on bag and rummaged through it for a few seconds before pulling out an EPT pregnancy test and handing it to him.

"I've had it for three days. I've just been too scared to use it. I wanted to wait for you. Nobody else knows about it."

"So, let's do it now, then."

"It's best if we wait to do it in the morning," Val advised.

"Shit," he cursed, "I can't believe this is really happening."

Val lowered her head again as they remained standing in the middle of the room.

"I know you're upset, and I'm sorry, I didn't tell you."

Joe lifted her chin, and took her lips in a deep kiss, catching her by surprise. He ended the kiss with an affectionate peck on her lips, and then leaned his forehead to hers.

"I'm far from upset, baby. You might be giving me one of the greatest gifts I could ever hope and pray for."

He kissed her forehead and wrapped her in another hug.

"You're not mad that I didn't tell you about the Plan B?"

"Mad?" he asked, looking down at her and creasing his brow. "Hell no! I've been dreaming of this moment, Doll. You might be giving me my boy I've been waiting on."