When a Stranger Calls // Part Three

this was actually a super sad chapter to write

this was actually a super sad chapter to write. like i'm upset with myself for it and i wish you all good luck :(

Since I become a member of the Lodge family, I had gotten used to the constant fancy dinners and parties. This open house was the exception, however. It wasn't anything close to a dinner but more of a wedding reception, almost.

I was following Veronica around like a lost puppy as our parents greeted tons of guests. I found Fred Andrews among the crowd but had yet to see his son, let alone the Pussycat girls or even Cheryl.

When we had made our rounds, we ended back up in front of Mom and Dad. Mom's dress was super cute and I almost forgot about the evil hiding beneath her skin. Under both of them, really.

"Hey, mija. How'd it go with Nick?" Daddy asked Veronica as we came to a stop.

Veronica looked panicked for a second. "Why, did he say something?" I nudged her slightly. If she was trying to cover her tracks, that wasn't helping.

"No, we haven't seen him. But from all reports, your charm offensive is paying off. Good work," He complimented. Veronica nodded slightly at his words.

Mom's eyes caught on to someone a bit back. "Oh, there's Nick now."

I grabbed Veronica's arm. "Oh, looks like we're running low on canapes. Excuse us while we go, quietly, yell at the caterer." I gave them a fake smile and dragged my sister away from the scene. We did head over to the food table, but didn't dare to say anything to the caterer.

"Thanks for that one," Ronnie mumbled as she stole a strawberry.

I nodded, letting out a sigh of relief. "No problem. What happened between you two?"

She shook her head and looked at the ground. "After Archie and I got you situated, Nick and I were chatting for a bit. He...he tried to force himself on me, Vanna."

My jaw dropped for a second but my shock was quickly replaced with rage. "I'm gonna kill the little ass-"

"No!" Veronica grabbed my arm and held me back from going to stomp Nick's face in. "I stopped him, and slapped him for that matter. Just leave it. We'll handle him when we have to, okay?"

With a grumble, I nodded and grabbed a chocolate covered strawberry from the plate. Suddenly, the mob of people behind me exploded into mumbles and I could hear cameras flashing left and right. Veronica and I both turned to see Alice Cooper walking into the party like a damn queen, if I say so myself.

She was wearing a reddish orange romper with a gold belt and a flowing trail of fabric behind her. When I looked closer, I could see a gold snake necklace around her neck and I knew what this was about. This was her public reveal post Betty's article. And as much as I hated to admit it, Alice Cooper was slaying the game.