Chapter Twenty-Nine

This song just fits with this story, especially Connor, I swear.

The doctor released me this morning, so Connor gave me the rest of today to pack anything the girls may have missed. I packed several books, a couple photo albums, and a family picture of mom, dad, Greyson and I. I was only seven in the photo, but it's still nice to have.

"You all packed?" Connor asks as I zip up my suitcase. He hasn't left my side once. Thankfully, he looks much more rested. I'm glad he sleeps when I sleep, or else I doubt he ever would.

"Yeah, I think so. The girls were pretty thorough. Besides personal effects, they didn't forget anything."

He nods and stands up to come over to me. He grips the handle of the bag and carries it for me. The doctor says I shouldn't lift anything for the next couple of days, just to make sure I'm fully healed.

I honestly think Connor takes it as a boost to his ego, and his pride.

We walk down the stairs and I see Hunter waiting for us at the bottom. He's coming with us, as a safety precaution, he's also bringing along some of his members. They loyally serve me, and it's kind of freaky. I'm thankful, but they always bow and call me tigress. I'm not used to that.

"Sophie, I'm glad to see that you're back in good health." Hunter bows his head, ashamed. "I let you get hurt on my watch. It cannot be excused."

I place a hand on his shoulder. "Stop. Don't beat yourself up over it. From what Connor told me, you were bashed over the head pretty hard. We should be glad you're okay." He goes to talk and I hold up a finger. "Another thing, stop talking like you have something to prove. You're a part of the family, my family. You don't have to be so proper."

He laughs nervously and rubs the back of his neck. "I just don't want you to think of me as a rogue. I really am here to protect you, and I've done a sucky job."

This time, it's Connor's turn to place his hand on Hunter's shoulder. "Trust me, you aren't the only one." I smack his arm and roll my eyes.

"You both stop it. There's no way either of you could have known something bad was going to happen." I give them a look that says "this conversation is over" and they drop it.

My mom and dad are next in line to see me off. They both pull me into a hug, mom quietly crying. She's scared, and I can feel it coming off of her in waves. "You're really leaving." She says quietly.

They pull back and my dad grabs her hand, comforting her. "It's for the best mom. I'm not safe here, as much as I know dad hates to hear it." She nods her head, looking at me intently, as if trying to memorize what I look like.

Dad gives me a sad smile before kissing my forehead. "Be safe pumpkin." I give him a teary eyed smile and nod before hugging him tightly.

Greyson watches, patiently waiting to pull me into a hug. Once dad let's me go, Greyson quickly snatches me into a warm embrace. "The second you're ready to come home, call me. I'll be wherever you are as soon as I can be." I pull back, nodding my head. Rachel is standing beside him holding their baby girl. Her name is Christina. She was born the day I almost died. It's almost poetic.

I walk over to them and let Christina grab my finger in her small hand. I let a tear slip from my eyes, knowing she won't recognize me when I get back.

A thought crosses my mind and I smile. "I know it isn't much, but I want her to have something to know me by." I wrap my hands around to the back of my neck, unclasping my favorite necklace. It's simple, my birthstone, a sapphire, in the loop of an S, representing my name. I hold it over Christina, who seems particularly interested in it, before placing it in Greyson's hand. "Maybe give it to her when she's a bit older." He smiles and I wave to the tiny girl. I give Rachel a side hug, being careful of Christina.