A Story

Allison stood up on shaky legs once her coughing died down. There should’ve been only silence, at least, that’s what was expected, but instead a single heartbeat could be heard. The trouble was no one knew who it belonged to. It was so loud, everyone could feel it. Everyone tried to pretend like it wasn’t happening. It was the sound of fear so strong it was audible. It was the sound of apprehension. It was the echo of confusion, and the desperation that was bound to follow. 
        Allison looked directly into the Joker and walked tentatively over to the purple clad man. She wasn’t scared, she was just… Sorry. She didn’t know what to say. There really wasn’t anything to say. He snapped his black eyes away from the fallen, motionless figure and onto Allison. It seemed the struggle for words was equivalent on both ends.
        He wasn’t angry, sad, happy or hurt. He was broken. Then, a sound. A grunt. Two pairs of eyes drifted unsurely toward the source of the sound. It was the bat. He was still alive. She tiredly jumped into the Joker’s limp arms and he weakly returned the sentiment, holding her as tight as he could in that moment of weakness. “He’s alive.” She comforted. It became a quiet mantra. 
        It was a comfort to him as much as it was a comfort to her. She knew he could never kill him. He could never die, because without Batman there is no Joker. Without Dr. Jeckle there can be no Mr. Hyde. A yin to his yang. Balance. Were one to ever topple the other it would all be so... Boring. 
        She could feel wetness against her neck and was surprised to find him crying. He laughed slightly to cover it up, and as they pulled away it grew hysterical. She guessed she should stop being surprised by this man. He continued to laugh the entire time they strapped the vigilante down to Allison’s desk chair. She looked at the hooded figure and wondered aloud why J hadn’t removed his mask. 
        “Because, my dear, it’s not about who it is, it never was. It’s just that this person exists. He could be anybody. That’s why he is who he is. Anybody.” She wondered if his feelings would change were he to discover that his primary tormentor had in fact been his enemy since childhood. Would he have more resentment? Less? She decided not to tell him; Might screw with the balance. 
        “Do you honestly expect to get away with this? With any of this?” Bruce slurred. “No, I don’t.” He paused, raising his eyebrows and spinning the chair around in circles to disorient his foe further. “I expect you to catch me.” “Us.” Allison smiled slightly toward the joker. He narrowed his eyes at her and laughed. 
        “What makes you think I want you to come with me?” “Don’t you?” She asked casually. There was a long pause. “After all I’ve put you through, huh? You still want me?” He asked as though it were all a joke that he didn’t quite understand. How ironic. She cocked an eyebrow and a smirk formed on her face. “I love you—“ “You too!!” He cut her off quickly, embracing her. “I think it’s cute how we’re finishing each other’s sentences already.”
        They chuckled into each other’s shoulders. “You’re crazier than I am.” “Now what did I say when we first met? There’s no such thing as crazy… And I was wrong. Being with you is absolute madness. And I couldn’t be happier.”
        “You drove her insane.” Bruce slurred, making the Joker pull away. “No I didn’t. I merely offered her a ride. She was insane long before I was there to pick her up. It was her own madness that allowed her to step in the car and take a drive with me.”
They began to walk away. Out of the stingy, claustrophobic room that Allison once thrived in. Batman struggled in the chair, much to their amusement. “How are the ribs, kitten?” “I believe my mind snapped when they did.” She joked, and muffled a groan when she laughed. “Well, don’t worry about that. I know a guy.” Their conversation began to fade. 
        “You know, we never had that conversation about your scars. How DID you get them?” She didn’t really care anymore. But as J had said so many times before, she would always be curious. “Well, it’s a long story… "
And a story was all it was. But Allison was happy to be a part of it.