Barriers

She went straight home, though, as of the lateness of the hour, no busses were running; so she did. She sped-walked through the empty dark streets, reviewing the Joker's file by the light of her phone. There was something missing about him, and it wasn't only his name. She could feel a certain emptiness about him since the day they met, and had been determined ever since to unveil it, now more than ever. She turned the page over and her eyes scanned frantically over the paper; hoping perhaps that she'd already found it. 
         Instead she found the paper documenting the events of J's sleep therapy. As she looked deeper, she noticed things she hadn't before and grew very concerned at what were, apparently, her own words. She wrote about things like how truly evil, ridiculous, cruel, and hypocritical the batman was; mainly for causing this much pain to the Joker. She couldn't believe she had written this, but it was clearly in her hand writing. She had gone completely off topic from the Joker's case in some areas. Allison was truly going mad, wasn't she?
         She sighed angrily as she finally arrived at her door, practically kicking it open. She would have done the same if she weren't stressed though, as the door was practically impossible to open. She almost always laughed at the glaring analogy present. She was always trying to break down barriers, get people to open up. And once they did, she'd close herself off, shutting them out and locking herself away from everything before they got too close.
         Allison grumbled. It was childish to use analogies. Just look at something as it is. But Allison had always truly thought that wasn't any set fact about anything; morals especially. All that mattered from what was right and what was wrong, the only barrier between the two, was the perspective of the individual you asked. She looked down and saw a note. Oh, god, not another one. She frowned and picked it up.
         Opening it, she read the cursive words of Jonathon. He was asking her to dinner. It explained that it would act as a secondary birthday gift, as he was certain she'd be too busy on the actual day. She brushed over the digits he had marked at the end of the page and contemplated calling him. She slid down to the floor. She was already exhausted, and anyways, she was planning to investigate further into the scarred man's case. 
         She tried tirelessly to convince herself that she couldn't or didn't want to go out with Jonathon. She even reminded herself of the Joker's apparently very capable spies. But it was only dinner; a harmless dinner between friends in celebration of a classic "holiday". Allison supposed it was a normal thing to do, as far as society was concerned. So why shouldn't I go? She asked herself. What's wrong with wanting to be normal sometimes?
          Eventually she would have to break her own barriers. Why not tonight?