Are you okay, dumbass? - KageHina

[Hinata gets sick/injured, and Kageyama has to take care of him, all the while calling him 'dumbass'.
Requested by Trinketesque]

"Kageyama!" They were playing a three on three practice match, and Hinata called for a toss. He ran, and jumped as high as he could. Hardly a moment later he saw the ball in front of him, felt the tough leather surface of it as he spiked it as hard as he could toward the other side of the net, right between Tanaka and Yamaguchi.

The slam of the ball hitting the court echoed around the gym, but that wasn't the sound that drew everyone's attention. No, that sound was a sickening pop followed by a certain middle blocker's strangled yelp. 

"Hinata!" Without thinking Kageyama rushed to the small boy's side. "Dumbass! Are you okay."

With a nervous smile, Hinata sat up and held his left ankle. "Ah, it's fine Kageyama. I accidentally landed funny and I rolled my ankle, but I'll be okay, don't worry."

The rest of the team had gathered around the injured boy now, and Hinata could see a lot of worried expressions. "It doesn't even hurt anymore. Here I'll show you." Hinata pushed himself up and stood with his weight resting on his right side. He'd hoped no one would notice, but they did.

"If you're perfectly fine, then walk." Daichi said, crossing his arms. Hinata took a cautious step forward, but as soon as he put weight on his left ankle he winced, and started to fall towards Kageyama. The setter caught him instinctively, then blushed slightly when he realized what he was doing.

He couldn't exactly let Hinata fall though, so he let the stupid ball of sunshine rest his weight against him. "Tch, dumbass," he muttered, trying to cover his obvious crush. Suga looked at him with a strange expression, but just shook his head and went on scolding Hinata.

"You're obviously not fine," Suga snapped. "There's a first aid kit in the supply closet. Kageyama, will you please take care of his ankle, and then bring him home."

"Eh‽ Why do I have to‽" Kageyama asked angrily.

"You walk home with Hinata most of the time anyway, and besides, practice is almost over, so you won't be missing anything." Kageyama stared disbelievingly at Suga, then the silver-haired third year gave him a discreet wink and wished him good luck before the rest of the team went back to practicing.

Kageyama growled, but carefully walked Hinata to the supply closet where he sat him down on an upturned crate and searched for the first aid kit. When he found it, he pulled out some bandages and carefully wrapped Hinata's ankle.

"I'm sorry Kageyama." Hinata was stiff, and nervous, and the setter assumed his face must have a scary expression, so he tried to relax it a bit.

"You should be, dumbass." Hinata seemed to relax just a little.

"Is 'dumbass' your entire vocabluary?" Hinata teases.

"It's 'vocabulary'." Hinata's face reddened slightly in embarrassment before he scoffed, and Kageyama tried his best to keep from laughing. "Dumbass."

"Whatever Bakageyama." Hinata smirked triumphantly at the nickname.

"What did you call me?" It sounded a lot meaner than Kageyama had intended, and Hinata scooted back a little on the crate, almost falling off. Kageyama sighed. "Calm down, it's okay. Let's get you home, dumbass." Kageyama emphasized the insult with an almost unnoticeable chuckle, not really meaning it, as he held out his hand to help Hinata up.

Kageyama pulled the other boy's arm over his shoulder and practically carried Hinata out of school. Every time he put too much weight on his left ankle, Hinata winced, and the taller boy got progressively more worried at each repetition of the sound.

"Maybe I should take you to the hospital," Kageyama suggested after yet another wince from the redhead.

"No!" Hinata said immediately, not to mention loudly, making the setter's ear hurt. "No hospitals! No doctors! No thank you!"

"What? You afraid of doctors or something?"

"N—no..." Hinata muttered, pouting.

"You are!" Kageyama laughed. An actual, genuine laugh. It rung out, echoing in the empty street. It wasn't exactly melodic or beautiful, more like a snort, but it wasn't a sound that was heard often, and Hinata couldn't help but stare in amazement. "What?" Kageyama asked when he noticed Hinata's eyes on him.

"Nothing!" he said quickly, looking away in the hopes that it would hide how flustered he was.

They continued talking as they made their way over the hill, trying to keep Hinata's mind off of the pain. After what felt like forever, (and probably was since they couldn't move very fast with Hinata's injured ankle,) they reached the sunshine's house. He pulled his keys out of his pocket and opened the door, still leaning heavily on Kageyama. When the door opened they were greeted by Hinata's little sister, Natsu.

"Shouyou! You're home! What took you so long? Mom went to a meeting at my school. She said not to open the door for anyone because you have a key. Who's this? He's pretty. But also kinda scary. Is he that boy you told me about from volleyball? Hi boy-from-brother's-volleyball I'm Hinata Natsu, and you can call me by my first name of you want, it's nice to meet you!" The girl was very small, with bright orange hair like her brother's which she had held up in curly pigtails. She wasn't as fidgety or hyperactive as her brother, but she spoke just as quickly, not leaving room for anyone to get a word in edgewise until she had finished talking.

"Hey Natsu, I'm sorry, I hurt my ankle so it took me a while to get home. You should make sure you're in bed when Mom gets home so she doesn't get mad. This is Kageyama. Yes, yes, and yes." Hinata spoke just as quickly, responding to each question and statement in the same order that his sister had said them. Kageyama was mildly awestruck at the two siblings' conversation, and it took him a moment to realize that they were both waiting for him to talk.

"Oh, uh, hi," Kageyama said awkwardly. "It's... It's n—nif... nice to meet you t—too, uh... Natsu." He cursed himself inwardly for being so bad at talking to people, but the little girl just giggled.

"He's funny, I can see why you like him Shouyou." Then she ran off, giggling.

"Hey!" Hinata attempted to chase her, forgetting about his ankle, and fell. "Shut up! Get back here, you little brat!" Natsu's giggles could be heard from down the hall.

"Are you okay, dumbass?" Kageyama tried not to show it as he helped the smaller boy up, but he had noticed that Hinata hadn't denied his sister's claim that he liked him, and the dark haired boy was internally freaking out with excitement. Hinata nodded, looking away, then Kageyama brought him to his room and put him on his bed. "I'll get you some ice."

A few moments later, the setter returned with an ice pack as promised, and he held it to Hinata's ankle. They talked for a bit, and slowly, Hinata started to nod off. Kageyama probably should have left a while ago, but it hadn't occurred to either of them that he didn't need to be there, so he was still sitting by Hinata's bed when the shrimp finally fell asleep.

When he noticed, Kageyama just smiled to himself. "Good night, dumbass." He then bent over and placed a gentle kiss on Hinata's forehead, before he left, careful not to wake up the snoozing sunshine.

[1336 words.

So, the only thing about both the main characters being guys is that "he let him rest his weight on him as they walked to his house. Every time he put weight on his ankle he winced, causing him to worry." Is really confusing, and I didn't want to keep using "the redhead" and "the setter" or just saying their names over and over, because that's as boring to write as it is to read. Actually, this was the first story where that really started to feel like a problem, so maybe I'm just being weird. Anyway, I hope you liked it. Love y'all.

<3 Raaor!]