Why don't we invite her over? - EnnoTana

To say that Ennoshita Chikara was nervous would be an understatement. He hadn't the slightest idea how his family would react to his loud, impulsive, brash, intimidating boyfriend, Tanaka Ryūnosuke.

They knew he was dating someone, but they didn't know who it was. They didn't know anything about the person he had been dating for the last three months. They didn't even know it was a boy. A couple of days ago, Ennoshita's parents had extended an invitation to his partner to come over for dinner. They were very eager to "meet and get to know Chika's girlfriend."

•––• •–• • •••– •• ––– ••– ••• •–•• –•––

"At least tell us something about her!" Ennoshita's mother had begged. She was a small, energetic woman. She wore her hair in a fraying updo with lots of loose strands, and she always had a skip in her step no matter how she felt, or what was going on.

She's a guy, he thought, but instead he told her, "they like volleyball," careful not to specify a gender.

"Oh, is she on a team?" his mother asked, once again assuming he was dating a girl.

"Yeah, they're a spiker," he said.

"Tell me more. Tell me something else," his mother asked eagerly. "What's she like?"

"Really..." he searched for a word. Obnoxious, reckless, impulsive, loud? "Enthusiastic. Definitely a high-energy person, and h– they tend to get excited easily." He caught himself before he could say 'he'. His parents didn't know he was gay, and he wasn't quite ready to tell them yet. "They're also really kind and supportive, and always try to make me happy." Ennoshita smiled to himself.

"She sounds wonderful." His mother sighed wistfully. "I want to meet her."

"Well... you see..." Ennoshita struggled to find an excuse for why that couldn't happen.

"Why don't we invite her over?" said his father, a quiet man, with graying hair who had been listening in silence the whole time. "I'd like to meet her too. You've been dating her for, what, three months?"

"Well, yeah, but—" Ennoshita was interrupted again by his mother.

"Excellent!" She jumped up, a huge grin splitting her face. "Invite her next Saturday! You were planning a date then anyway; it'll be perfect!"

"But... I don't think... I mean, I just..." nothing. Ennoshita drew a blank. He couldn't think of a single good reason to turn her down. He supposed it was bound to happen eventually, and he might as well get it over with. "Fine." His mother clapped excitedly.

"I can't wait!" She ran up to her son and gathered him in a tight hug.

•–•• •– – • •–•

And that's how, the following Saturday, Ennoshita found himself pacing the living room floor, waiting for his boyfriend to knock on his door, and meet his parents.

Then he heard the knock on his front door. He didn't even have to look to know it was Tanaka. The loud, fast rapping sound was definitely his wanna-be thug boyfriend. His mother rushed to open the door, but he grabbed her wrist just before she reached it. This was it.

"Mom, before you open the door..." he took a deep breath, gathering his courage. "I'm gay."

He released her wrist, and took a step back, looking away as if expecting a slap. None came. After taking a moment to process, his mother opened the door to reveal a brightly smiling boy with a buzz cut, who looked like he was ready to fight someone at a moment's notice.