Chapter 23 - "Let's dance!"

Start from the beginning

"Join us," Knox said. He tried to put a hat on Marcos but he was to quick.

"Smooth moves," Sky said. She took her hat off and returning it to the table. Kenny, Jesse and Knox all returned their hats and moved towards the exit. Bianca, Reese and Everleigh were awkwardly standing in a tight circle. 

"There you are!" Bianca said. She looped her arm through Knox's. Liz boldly took his other arm before either of the other girls could claim it.

"Are we ready to go back to the ship?" Bianca asked.

"We just got here," Knox said. "If this is too much for you though, I'm sure Marcos would gladly accompany you ladies back to the ship." He could see Bianca was seriously thinking about it as someone with a large stack of hats bumped in to her. But she remained silent, although her grasp on him tightened. 

There was a loud burst of music from behind and Knox turned to see the beginnings of a parade making its way down the street. Sky, Jesse and Kenny were right in front of them and they turned when they heard the loud blare of trumpets.

"Sky you're crazy!" Knox heard Kenny say. He looked over to see her moving to the beat of the music, completely caught up in the excitement of the crowd.

"Hey, you guys work on the ship, right?" Liz said when she noticed Sky's group standing right beside them.

"Yeah." Sky smiled, linking her arm through Kenny's and making him dance with her.

Following the band members dressed in green uniforms with stripes of yellow down the side, came a group of dancing girls. They're dresses were the bright Jamaican colors. Then there were small girls with large baskets of flowers that they were handing out to people in the crowd. Knox accepted a bright red flower from the girls and watched as Sky took one and put it up in her hair.

As the parade came to an end, the people lining the street joined in, dancing along to the music as they followed the last of the parade. Knox smiled as he watched, Sky drag Kenny and Jesse along to join the crowd.

"That was so much fun!" Liz said. She spoke loudly to be heard above all the noise. He agreed and turned to see Bianca and the other girls standing rigidly.

Sky laughed and pushed the hair that had fallen lose from her pony tail out of her face. Kenny and Jesse had quickly left her alone in the dancing crowd but she didn't mind. She would find them later. She saw a small group of little girls dancing around in a circle and gladly accepted their invitation to join. She grasped their small hands in hers and bounced along with them. As they broke out of their circle, they started a line and she led the way, bouncing along to the music.

She felt someone grab her hand and was spinning before she could see who it was. She stopped to see a tall, man pulling her close. She smiled. She tried to follow along with the man's lead, mostly moving her body to the beat. After a few more spins, she was out of breath, and she spun away from her partner to the edge of the crowd. She laughed and watched as the crowd continued down the street. The air that had seemed crowded and loud before the parade now feeling empty and quiet as it disappeared around a corner.

"You're crazy," Kenny called out. He and Jesse jogged to where she was.

"That was so much fun!" she said. She was still slightly moving to the music that was growing fainter.

The street filled with people again. They moved from one vendor to the next and the smell of food cooking had grown stronger. Sky spotted Knox with a small group of girls, moving her way.

"Are you having fun?" she asked Liz when the group reached her.

"That was perfect," Liz said. "I'm so happy we ended up being here for their Independence Day."