Chapter 20 | Fifteen - Epilogue

The sun slowly crept over the snow-covered horizon. The clock had just struck seven ante meridiem within the Mewman kingdom, as marked by the distant crow of a Mewman rooster. The sunlight seeped through the windows onto the sleeping, newly crowned queen of Mewni. She mentally recapped on all that had happened that week.

It had been a hectic week for Star Butterfly, filled with new policies and bills that were passed. The first thing on her agenda was to renew the peace treaty between the people of the Butterfly kingdom and the land of the monsters that was broken long ago. This was Eclipsa's sole intention and the reason she wanted to be set free so badly, but she went about it in the wrong fashion, only tearing the kingdom further apart. Her family had induced fear into the lives of the Mewmans, and she had finally brought peace to the kingdom once more, which made the former princess feel proud. It took a lot of negotiating, but she made it work, and the Mewmans and monsters were willing to put aside their differences and live in peace. It had been intact for a week, and Buff Frog has moved out of the Forest of Certain Death and into a small cottage, close to Star's castle.

Another part of her week involved Marco, who was now the king of Mewni. A part of Mewman policy was that when a new queen was crowned, they must have a king as well. With Marco being her boyfriend and all, the choice was easy. She reminisced on the time when her parents wanted her to be with Tom, but his anger issues got in the way of their relationship, and she did not want to put up with his controlling demeanor anymore. Marco on the other hand was everything she had ever dreamed of in a guy. She recalled how much he disliked her when they first encountered each other... and now they ruled a kingdom together. It all flashed before her eyes so fast.

As much as Queen Star Butterfly had accomplished this week, she could not help but still feel a pang in her chest, that heavily pushed down on her prideful mood. Her mom was dead because she wanted to rebel, because she wasn't fast enough, strong enough. It all dispersed in her mind, and made her wonder: Would her mom be proud of her, is this how she wanted her daughter to rule over her kingdom? She didn't know, and it was all too late for her to find out.

Before Star's gears became rusty from pondering all of these questions, her train of thought was interrupted by a pair of arms grabbing her waist, and a pair of lips touching hers.

"Good morning, Estrella Mariposa," the brown-haired boy rang.

Star blinked a few times at Marco Diaz, smirking a little. "Who's Estrella Mariposa?"

"It's you, Star. I really need to teach you Spanish," the latino boy chuckled before speaking again, "Happy birthday!"

The blonde was trying to process this information. The past week had been so hectic that she nearly forgot that it was her birthday today. Star was born on a cold and dreary December night, which was known to the Mewmans as Stump Day. This day was pretty much parallel to Christmas back on earth, except it involved worshipping the Almighty Stump that kept the settlers warm during a freak blizzard.

Star smiled at the boy standing in front of her. "Thanks, Marco."

Marco gave the girl a genuine smile back. "Heh, no problem, Star. So, how does it feel to finally be fifteen?"

The former princess looked up at the ceiling for a moment. She didn't feel any different. In fact, she felt exactly the same. She then looked back at Marco, giving him a soft smile. "Well, I don't feel any different."

"I guess being fifteen isn't any different than being fourteen, eh?"

"Well, not so far."

The boy stood up, clapping his hands together, then in a swift motion, grabbed Star's dainty wrists and helped her out of her queen-sized bed. She was still in her blue nightgown, and wore striped socks. Her knee-length hair was sorta unkept. "Marco, what are you doing?"