Chapter 1 | Confrontation

Things were awkward between them now. 

She had a crush on him. She was in love with him and wanted to be his. It sounded innocent enough, but there was one small problem. He had a girlfriend whom he was in love with. He didn't see her as anything more than just a friend.

Just a friend.

The words rung in her ears, and created a pang in her chest. Why did that hurt so much? It was normal. They were just friends that fought monsters together. He was from earth, she from Mewni. They happened to meet from faith. It was normal for him to feel like this, but was it normal for her to be crushing?

Star Butterfly fell hard for him, and she didn't even mean to. It just sorta happened, like how she just sort of happened to end up on earth. It was spontaneous, random. He probably didn't even feel the same way towards her. She was just his weird princess friend from another dimension. On the other hand, he fell for Jackie, and has always wanted to get to know her since kindergarten. She helped that dream come true, and she started to regret it.

She sat on the rooftop of the Butterfly castle. The air was chilly as it ran over her fair skin. It was a cold, Mewman summer night. The kingdom's three moons shone brightly in the sky, glimmering over the rooftops of the houses below. She liked it here. It allowed her to think. Think about what she just admitted to him. They haven't talked about this since she left suddenly from Earth.

"Star? Where are you," a male voice said. She recognized that voice from anywhere. It was her crush, of course. Not Oskar Greason, but someone closer. He had been staying with them since he had left Earth to find her. Her parents had gave him his own room and everything, and she had enjoyed it a lot. She liked being able to show him her home for once.

Marco Diaz was looking at her from the window. "Um, a little help please?"

The princess giggled at him, grinning softly. She got up and offered a hand, which the boy took hesitantly. They were a few hundred feet off the ground, and he being the safe kid and all, was afraid of heights.

He scooted next to the princess, and looked over her form before shifting his view to the kingdom. 

"Wow, it's beautiful."

"Yeah, it is I guess."

That didn't sound like the hyperactive Star he knew. He could hear the melancholy in her voice. "You alright, Star? You haven't been yourself since... you know."

"I'm fine," she said with a soft grin.

Marco looked at her skeptically. "I know something's bugging you. Is it because of..."

"-Yeah." Star looked down and twiddled her thumbs.

It became silent between the two teens. Things have been awkward ever since the incident. They haven't been spending as much time together, and have practically been avoiding each other.

Marco sighed, and looked over at her. "So uh... you have a crush on...me?"

The words rung in his head, bouncing off the casing of his skull. His bestie liked him as more than a friend? He didn't know what to think. He didn't know what to feel. It was so alien to him. He and Jackie were a thing... or at least he thought. He didn't know if they were even together anymore. She didn't take the fact that he was staying with Star too well. There was no cell service between dimensions, and she didn't have a magical mirror like Star did when she was staying with him. He just assumed they were broken up, which made him feel like the hugest jerk. He just wanted to make sure his bestie was going to be alright, since there was crisis going on in her home dimension.