Having A Splash

Popularity War

Chapter 1- Having a Splash

--Seven Years Later--

Eva walked nonchalantly through the village with her best friend, Cassandra. All around them, the street buzzed with activity, as the villagers went about their daily routine. Cassandra’s hair bobbed as she laughed at some joke, Eva smiling at her friend’s merriment. This was normal for them; as daughters of the elite class of Carvahall, their agenda was usually vacant allowing them to take numerous strolls through town, gossiping and flirting with the young eligible bachelors.

 “Well, I am glad you enjoyed the party.” Eva said. She paused for a moment before continuing. “I apologize once more for my absence; in the future I will be sure to be in attendance.” Eva had some personal business to attend to that evening, but she had told her friend that she was ill instead.

Cassandra smoothed out her poufy yellow dress and replied. “Good, because if I have to listen to Lord Barge talk about his prized chandelier, without you to bail me out, I swear I will go mad. Besides, the next party will most likely be for my sixteenth birthday and you have to be there.”

“I understand, and did he really talk about his chandelier again?” Cassandra nodded before they started giggling. At the fountain, they sat upon a bench to rest their weary feet. It was mid-afternoon and the two girls had been walking around for two hours under the warm summer sun. They had bonnets on their heads and long sleeved dresses to keep the sun from turning their skin a bright pink. Taking out their fans, they began to gossip once more.

“So, have you heard about Lady Rochlin? Last night, she was seen with Mr. Darren, creating such a scandal.”

Eva inclined her head with interest. “No, I haven’t. Pray tell, what happened?”

“Well, rumor has it that the child she carries is his,” she smirked. “Oh, you should have seen the look upon her husband’s face when he caught them,” Looking to see that the coast was clear, she whispered, “kissing in the garden.”

Eva’s face had contorted into shock, her cheeks starting to burn at the news of such indecency. “Really?”

Cassandra nodded and began to explain the incident in more details. By the time she had finished her tale, an hour had passed. The position of the sun indicated that it was early evening.

“Goodness, it has gotten late. Shall we retire for the evening?” Eva asked, standing up. In the back of her mind, she continued to think about Lady Rochlin and Mr. Darren. She adored an excellent romance like the next girl, but thought of having an affair was atrocious. When she was a child, she was fortunate to witness her parent’s undying love, a sight that she dearly missed. To keep herself from getting lost in her thoughts, she quickly shook her head.

Cassandra stood next to her, waiting. Before they took their leave, the sound of buzzing filled her ears. Seconds later, she saw a bumble bee circling around her head.

“Eva!” Cassandra tried swatting the bee, but to no avail. In terror, Eva screamed and began to run around flailing her arms. Those who knew Eva knew that she hated bees. Unsure what to do, Cassandra helplessly watched her friend make a complete fool of herself.

“Help, get it away from me!” Her screams alerted the villagers, who began to congregate around the fountain to witness the ridiculous scene. Some started laughing.

 “Stop moving,” Cassandra said when the bee continued to bother her friend. Disregarding her advice, Eva ventured closer to the fountain’s ledge. Predicting what might come next, she screeched, “Eva, watch out!”