Shishi

You looked at the rooftops in boredom. The King's party had started a little over an hour ago and pretty much all the guests had arrived. Now, it was just you and the empty scenery.

At least the King pays us well, you thought bitterly.

In the distance, you saw the silhouettes of a cloaked lady in the distance. She drew closer, and she made a mistake. Her cloak accidentally exposed her weapon and the light of a nearby torch was reflected off her obsidian blade.

She cursed at her mistake and went in for the kill. You parried and dodged, swung and stabbed, but she was swift and had two weapons. For every cut she received, you got twice as much.

At a critical moment, you left your side unguarded. She smiled and from under her cloak of darkness, she whispered. "It's too late, you're wide open."

And you were on the ground, looking at your beheaded corpse. With your last moment of consciousness, she entered the castle.

~~~

You were reincarnated as a young boy who had clear dreams of a woman in black. To make up for your previous life in poverty, this life as a royal descendant was a complete makeover.

However, your life was struck by a great tragedy. The kingdom was attacked and put under a new rule. Your royal family? Either slaughtered like animals or sold off as slaves. You escaped into the woods, only to find yourself face-to-face with your harbringer of nightmares and death.

She watched you from a distance; her violet eyes fixed you in place. Finally, she spoke.

"You put up a great fight in your previous life. I presume your talent will be better in this vessel. Come, Reed, I will train you to be an independent and strong vessel."
~~
I bet you didn't expect that plot twist!

...Wait, you did? Nevermind then...