Lekha 61

"Lekha...?"

"Lekhaa!!..."

Two different yet familiar voices called my name, one concerned and the other quite surprised.

"OMG... it's true..." I recognized Vaishali's voice as I opened my eyes. Disappointment filled in them as I saw both Anil and Vaishali peer down at me with concern. I had been unsuccessful it seemed.

"Are you alright Lekha?" asked Anil while Vaishali looked quite taken up by someone behind me as she gaped like a gold fish.

I nodded my head as Anil helped me stand.

"Lekha...!" exclaimed the voice which I had lost all hopes of ever hearing again.

I slowly turned around.

"Rudra sa ...!!" I whispered unable to understand how my present and past were all together.

"Who are you?" asked Anil looking annoyed.

"Who are you?" Rudra questioned back looking equally irritated, as I found his gaze linger at Anil's hand on my shoulder. I reacted instantly by quickly sliding away from Anil's side towards Vaishali with a big show of comradeship in order to defuse the situation with as little suspicion as possible. I wondered at Rudra's reaction but didn't want to test any theories regarding this. I had come to give my message and that was it.

From my safer haven I introduced both the men.

"Rudra sa ... this is Anil a good friend of mine..." seeing his brow raise at the word 'friend' I quickly added "and ... this is Vaishali my best friend... just like a sister". I had tried to introduced a false cheerfulness in my introduction but it all seemed like a dud as both the men kept on glaring at each other.

Vaishali rolled her eyes at me as she observed the interaction from the side lines and whispered "Men... I told you so", all in one breathe.

"Who is he?" asked Anil with a thumb gesture which took me by surprise. I had never seen Anil so rude. In my eyes he had always been the epitome of politeness and calm no matter what the situation.

"I am Rudra... her fiancé... Lekha's would be 'husband' " Rudra spoke like a typical alpha male wanting to stamp his possessions, before I could even think of an introduction.

I wondered why he was still stuck on to the same story despite me having run off and he having an open field to marry Roopmati. It must have something to do with his male ego I concluded and he did have a big one.

I saw Anil gape at that and then looked at me for confirmation. He must have felt my confusion so he suddenly stood even more straight and smirked.

"...From 'Would be' to 'husband' ... you still have a long way to traverse..."

I closed my eyes suddenly feeling quite out of place in this conversation, as I had seen Rudra clench his fists tightly by his side. I wanted the earth to swallow me at that moment so that I could escape this ego match. Both moved towards me in concern but luckily Vaishali who was by my side covered for me.

"She is alright" she said gesturing them to stay put.

"How did both of you follow me?" I asked suddenly realizing what had happened, as I gathered my wits around me and straightened up. This wasn't a time for self-pity.

"Follow you ... where? We were right beside you and then suddenly you looked faint and I..." Anil looked at loss of words as it dawned on him that something was definitely wrong with the scene. He seemed to have missed the most obvious first clue due to his concern for me and secondly due to his fight for one-upmanship with Rudra.