Lekha 3

The girls had accepted me, more so after Vasundhara's mother's welcome into the family. I was completely enthralled. I just followed them in a dreamlike state unable to believe the way things had turned out. I was introduced to few more people of our age group with the recap of my story and also the fact that I had got the stamp of approval and support directly from her mother thus validating my presence.

With two loyal comrades by my side, it was smooth sailing for me, till we came upon a young man slightly older than us. Vasundhara and Gayatri rushed to him shouting " Bhaisa"(brother). From their conversation, I could guess that he and his companions had just returned from a hunt. Gayatri questioned him about her own two brothers' whereabouts and was informed that they had returned with the party but were headed off towards a nearby village where talks of some miscreants had been heard. 

His eyes turned towards me in surprise and he asked Vasundhara about who I was as he had never seen me before. I just had the urge to tell him to get some pamphlets printed with my story and introduction, but clamped my mouth shut to stop myself from being rude. I couldn't undermine the hospitality I had received with so much love, just because I had to repeat my story to each person I met.

I didn't want to start things on a bad footing with my host, so I let Vasundhara regale her brother with my story. I could not help but notice that after all the repeats, my sob story had started to sound like a great adventure. It must have felt too flat for Vasundhara's taste when I had narrated in the beginning. Gayatri and I kept on nodding our heads putting the stamp of authentication to it.

He turned towards me with sympathy in his eyes and said "Welcome to the family sister. My name is Uday Bhan". Just as he turned to go, he looked back at me again and said "You can call me bhaisa too little sister". He smiled and left. My heartbeat escalated with happiness. Just a few hours ago when I had woken up I was a desperate, lonely, and lost person but now I had a whole family with me.

By this time my head had turned into a battlefield where both my heart and my brain suggested two different things to me. I wished for someone to guide me. I wanted to live a guilt-free life.