Lekha 33

Parvati gave me death glare while her mother looked on shocked. Even I was taken back and didn't know how to react. I had never thought that Rudra would publicly claim me as his fiance. Vasundhara giggled from behind me as Rudra walked out of the house carrying me like a trophy.

Some of the workers in the courtyard also stared at us open mouthed leaving all their work aside. I blushed crimson as I met Suraj's laughing eyes.

"What was that?" I whispered angrily at Rudra.

"What ...What? I am just helping my fiance" whispered back Rudra, copying me.

"I am not your fiance and I already told you that I am not going to marry you. Go marry Parvati."I whispered angrily.

"You sound jealous but I can't help appreciating her. Her kachoris were quite delicious." smirked Rudra.

"I am not jealous and yes 'kakisa's' kachoris were quite delicious ... and I am not going to marry you" I said rudely feeling vindictive, but couldn't help rectifying the fact that it was kakisa and not Parvati who made the kachoris.

His feet came to halt just for a second as he stared down at me then laughed loudly as if I had just cracked a joke.

He placed me back in the carriage softly. As I looked up I saw Suraj and Vasundhara grinning at me from ear to ear. Parvati and kakisa seemed to have thought it wise to save themselves from the embarrassment and stayed inside.

I turned my face away from everyone I felt too upset and didn't find any humor in the situation.

I felt someone sit next to me and soon the carriage started.

"Everyone seems to have lost their sense of humor now that I am sitting here it seems." I heard Rudra speak from next me. Surprised I looked up and found him sitting right next to me, while Vasundhara sat on the opposite side grinning at me.

"Suraj sa do you people have horse riding contests too?" I said deliberately ignoring Rudra. I could see his face loose humor at that, from my peripheral vision. Vasundhara too seemed to get tensed seeing her cousin frown.

"Yes Lekha we do in winter months. We all go to Amer for the competitions. It's like a huge mela of warriors pitting their skills against each other." said Suraj enthusiastically unaware of the tension behind him.

"You can also join us this time if kakisa allows"

"Lekha do you know new fabrics will be coming tomorrow for making dresses. I am so excited" said Vasundhara trying to lighten the tension.

I also felt discomfited so joined her saying" Do you make your own dress? I know only little bit of stitching"

"Parvati is an excellent dressmaker. I will ask her to help us with some styling" said Vasundhara unaware that this was another topic to be avoided.

"Yes she must be. I know for sure that she would make an excellent wife for someone lucky enough to marry her" I couldn't help adding. I could feel Rudra tense beside me.

Rest of journey was done in silence except for a few tidbits from Vasundhara and Suraj.

I was helped down by Rudra but this time he refrained from picking me up.

I was able to walk on my own in another three days but it seemed Rudra had changed his mind about befriending me. He took the pathway in front of his room rather then come all the way around to pass from in front of my room like before. I did miss his smiles and nods but it was something I had to do in order to mentally separate myself from him.