Lekha 59

Happy Diwali people :) Hope everyone had a great time.

The next day I made an appointment with Mr. Jaswani on the phone. He was always very accommodating like a local guardian. I was picked up from my hostel under the watchful eyes of Vaishali by Anil. She kept on teasing me about going on a secret date with him and abandoning her. I didn't want her to know the purpose of my visit so just lied that Mr. Jaswani wanted to talk to me so was sending Anil to escort me. Since after the fort incident I was under strict vigilance.

Anil met me at the hostel gates with a huge smile on his face and that was excuse enough for Vaishali to go bonkers with her innuendoes. I felt bad for Anil as not only was he a genuinely caring person but quite handsome to look at too. If circumstances had been different I might have fallen for him, especially with the efforts he was putting in to take interest in the things I was passionate about. I wasn't blind to the fact that the knowledge he had accumulated over the past few days about the history of Rajasthan was for impressing me.

"Hello uncle" I greeted Mr. Jaswani.

"Come in beta (dear son/daughter). I was surprised that you wanted to meet me. Are you alright? Anyone troubling you? I can ask Anil to check it out for you" he asked looking a bit worried.

"Nothing to worry about uncle. It's just that I was just a bit shaken by the recent events... you know the rest" I shrugged.

"O Lekha... what happened child? you can always talk to me. I am like a guardian to you. You know I was a close friend of your parents apart from being your lawyer. "

"It's just that ... I want to make my will ... I mean, in case something should happen to me and I am unable to take any decision. You know Vaishali is my best friend and we both are orphans. I always planned to make her live with me after I came of age and share whatever resources I had with her... but... that day's event had been a kind of wake-up call for me. I just don't want her to be left all alone without a penny to her name in case I am not there to share her future. I have not shared this information with her and neither do I want anyone else to know apart from both of us." I gave out a big sigh as in my mind it had all sounded so practical but now sharing it with Uncle I was feeling the emotional weightage of leaving my friend all alone.

" I want to name my all in her name in case...."

"What has happened Lekha? Why are you so emotionally distressed... I would say beta wait for a year or two and then make all these decisions. " he looked at me with concerned eyes. I felt a little bad for lying to him.

"It's just that I don't want to take that risk. Vaishali has no one apart from me and when I have been lucky enough to have resources left to me by my parents I would rather it never goes to waste. If things go great with God's grace then ... we have nothing to worry about and this 'will' will be null and void."

"I still am unable to understand why you are doing this... maybe you are suffering from the emotional after-effects of the shock you got. Well, I will do whatever you want ... and hope you come out of this trauma soon... but then again you did well by not discussing this with your friend. I am not saying that you don't trust your friend ... but ... Just maintain this silence and let time decide whatever is to be done." he gave me a sympathetic smile.

I smiled at uncle's suspicious nature but then again it was his job to be so. My decision not to tell Vaishali anything was due to a different perspective, as I didn't want her to feel obliged to me for anything. It was best that it came as a surprise to her.

"Uncle there is one more thing I wanted you to do for me as a personal favor," I asked hesitantly.

"Come on ... you can always ask this old man anything without any hesitation"

"I want you to help the people of Bhangarh to collect donations for building a wall around a plot of land belonging to their chieftain who lived during the Maharana Pratap's time and perhaps also in building a temple in that place. Anil will tell you all about it. He was there with us when we had gone there for a visit. I know your time is quite precious but this is a very personal thing. I really want to help those people in any way I can."

"Today you are in a very funny mood Lekha... as if you are saying goodbye to all. You have got me worried about you.... but don't worry it will be done as a personal cause. Anything else dear...?"

"No, uncle just these two things ... but please make sure my first request is accomplished ASAP, for my mental peace."

"Sure, dear. the papers will be ready to be signed in two days... and Lekha take care of yourself and any time you feel any insecurity ... you just give me a call ... that is any time of the day. Please feel free to use Anil as your personal escort whenever you wish to go anywhere. I will tell him to be on standby. "

I said my goodbyes and was just reaching for the door when he called my name.

"Lekha ... I like the boy. He is quite a decent lad with a bright future ... and I can make out that he likes you too ... a lot... so make use of him... "he said with a huge grin. I couldn't help but grin back at him for his not-so-subtle matchmaking. 

Do send your comments ... always love to hear from you :)