Chapter 14

"Hey, honey? Is there any reason a man named Steve Rogers is at our door?"

My eyes shoot open. "Um, it's a long story."

I rush past her and head into the kitchen, turning the corner to see Steve awkwardly sitting on one of our stools.

"Um, hi." He says standing up when he sees me.

"Hey, um, I don't really know if you being here is necessary. I'm sure we're fine."

"Tony said you were in danger. I'm not leaving until I'm sure you're not."

My mom had walked in when he said this. "Did he just say we were in danger?"

"Um, no, he meant theoretically."

"No I didn't" I turned around and gave him a death glare when he said this.

"You're not helping!"

He just shrugged and sat back down on the stool.

"Someone better tell me what the hell is going on!" My mom was clearly confused and her confusion was growing into frustration.

"You might want to sit down on the couch." I walk her over and sit down next to her. Then, I told her everything that happened, not mentioning the fact that we stayed in the same bed or that Peter was Spider-Man.

"You almost died and you're only telling me now?"

"That's not the point! The point is that we're in danger and he's here to protect us in case someone tries to hurt us." I point to Steve who is still sitting on the stool. He looks up and smiles slightly, lifting his hand up to wave.

"Okay, I understand he's here to protect us, but like what is he? Like is he a police officer or something?"

"Mom, he's Captain America," I state, rolling my eyes at how little she knew.

"Okay, now I have a new question. When the hell did we get on the Avengers's radar?"

"Uh, you see." I had been trying to figure out how to avoid telling her about Peter's secret, but I couldn't think of anything. Thankfully, Steve had an idea.

"She got an internship at Stark Industries. She was told she wasn't allowed to tell anyone, but I think Tony will let telling you slide." I turned around and looked at him, completely shocked. He gave me a look that said to play along with it, so I just turned back around and smiled innocently at my mother.

"This is all too much for me, I think I'm gonna take a nap." She walked out of the room and headed to her bedroom.

I turned back to Steve, a look of relief on my face. "Thank you so much for that. I had no clue what I would have told her."

"Don't mention it. Peter says you're really smart so I bet Tony wouldn't mind having another teenager around that he can teach."

I smile, thinking about the fact that Peter talks about me to the Avengers.

"Plus, I figure it will give you more time to spend with Peter." He winks at me and I blush.

"So what can we do to distract me from my thoughts?" I say, willing to do anything.

He shrugs. "Want to watch some movies?"

~~~

We watched a couple movies for a few hours, my mom sleeping the entire time. Peter was definitely right about Steve being like a grandfather. He asked me questions the whole time about stuff that only grandparents would have to ask about. Finally, after we were almost done the second movie, Steve suddenly jumped off the couch.

"What's wrong?" I look over at him, concern building up inside me.

"Tony just texted me." He held up his phone for me to read. The last message said:

Need you at the tower NOW! Bring the girl!

I looked up at Steve, his eyes filled with as much worry as mine were.

"You probably should leave a note for your mom." I nodded and grabbed a piece of paper.

~~~

"Where's Peter?" I had barely stepped through the door before I started yelling, looking around to see if I could see him. Sadly, I couldn't find him. The only person I could see was a stressed Tony rubbing his hands through his hair. He removed his hands revealing his red eyes. The look on his face made my heartbreak.

"What happened?" My words came out in almost a whisper.

Tony didn't say anything, he just turned around, waving for me to follow him. I ran after him, Steve right next to me. We walked through winding hallways. I was practically ahead of Tony, dying to find out what had happened. Finally, he stopped at a simple black door. He swung the door open revealing a bunch of people and a hospital bed.

I didn't really pay attention to the people in the room though. The only thing I was looking at was Peter lying in a hospital bed, covered in scratches, bruises, and a black-eye. The scariest part wasn't the black-eye though, it was the fact that both his eyes were closed that scared me.

Author's Note

I don't have much to say except I don't have any more quarterly assessments to worry about studying for so I have more time to write! I also started watching Friends and it's SO good! Totally recommend! Anyway, I hope you are enjoying this and don't forget to vote and comment!