15 You saved me from me

I went in when Asad was up. Thankfully the vultures set has not come as yet but I know it wont be long before the doctors call them.

I reached him. He was looking at me. He looks exactly the same person I love and who love me.

"Darling, Oh thank God you are up. I was so worried" I said while sobbing. He looked at me confused.

"Do you know who I am love?" I asked him. He shook his head.

"It's ok. Does Liz or Lizzie sound familiar?" I asked trying to help him remember. He shook his head again.

"It's okay darling. You will remember me" I said taking his hand in mine and placing a kiss on his knuckles.

"Who are you? How do I know you" he asked weakly.

"My love, don't rush. Once you regain your memory, you will know who I am and how much I meant to you" I said lovingly.

*************************************

I cant remember anything. I know my name. I know I am from Afghanistan. I remember my family. I remember coming to US. But that's all I can remember.

The first thing I realized when I was unconscious is the smell and presence of someone. And I believe that someone is this girl, who was sobbing when she reached me. She also look so exhausted. I think she stayed with me all these time. Who is she? Is she my wife? Girlfriend?

She is really beautiful. I don't know what sort of life I used to live before but I am sure even then I would have found her the most beautiful person in the world. I keep looking at her. The eyes and her hair.

"Are you my girlfriend?" I asked her. She reached me and placed a kiss on my lips. I went numb. She stroke my face.

By this time, some other people came in. They are calling themselves the Hassan. Mr and Mrs Hassan are very nice people, I liked them. Their daughter Fathima was with them. She seems to be a nice girl. Remind me of my sister. But the way she looks at me doesn't look right.

What have I done? Have I played with both these girls lives? What really happened?

Fathima was very unkindly to Liz. And I heard some of her cutting remarks.

"Asad, dad said me and you should get married as you will need someone to take care of you now that you are in this situation" Fathima suddenly informed me. I looked at Liz. And I saw the anger rising in her.

"Fathima, I told you  once, and I will say it again. He is mine. When he regain his conscious he will know who is who. We will have to wait until then" she said quite firmly.

"Don't listen to her Asad. She is a bitch, who had slept with all of the campus boys. She is pretending to care for you but deep down who knows what her agenda is. But I can look after you" she said sweetly.

"No, Liz is right. Until I regain my conscious I will not take any decision" I finally told her. It's not even a day since I regain consciousness and this man woman is talking about marriage. I instantly knew I should stay away from her.

"In which case, I am sorry we wont be able to settle your hospital bills or look after you" Fathima said giving a disgusting look at Liz.

"Don't worry, all his expenses will be taken care of" Liz said firmly. And Fathima left banging the door, leaving me and Liz alone. I looked at Liz smiling. And for some reason I remembered a voice saying " you can lighten up a mans heart Liz".

And I fell asleep.

*******************************************************

Mum didn't want to give away the money just like that. I had to sign few more papers. I asked lawyers to be sent to the hospital. I signed everything. With the money I will be getting, I can buy a small apartment and may be enough to sort out Asad's medical expenses. If I am lucky, it is sufficient to start my designer clothing line.

But money isn't my concern. The man who is sleeping with memory loss and scared body is my priority. I know it is going to be difficult. But I will survive.

I called mum, just to ask one more favor.

"Can I use the park street apartment until I can move to a better place? Asad is recovering. I need a place to look after him until he is okay"

"Liz, I have done you too many favors. Please don't call me again. You singed off any rights you or any of your children will have on any property. Rest I don't care"

"Mum, please. I cant move around with Asad still in bandage. Can you give me one month? Just a month? I promise I will look for a place and move out as soon as I can. If anything, do it for dad"

"Two weeks Liz. If you don't get out in two weeks, I will toss you out"

"Thanks mum. Two weeks enough to sort something"

I thought Asad was sleeping when I made the call. But he was up and looking at me.

"Don't worry babe. Everything is okay" I told him.

"Tell me about us" he asked me.

"What would you like to know babe?"

"How did we meet? How did we fell in love? How was our relationship?"

So, I told him everything. I told him about how I hated him and he hated me.

"I am sure I could have never hated you"

"Oh darling, you don't know how bad I was. I mean, trust me, you had all rights to hate me" I told him.

Then I explained him about dad. And why he had to leave the job. I told him about how I kissed him. I absolutely told him everything.

"You did all that for me?" finally he asked me.

"Darling, for what you have done for me, I can only repay you by my life. You changed me. You gave a meaning to my life. And you saved me from me"

"And why were you angry with your mother?"

I explained how I exchange any future holding I might have on dad's fortune for cash. And I told him firmly I don't care if the Hassan's are good people, but I am not letting them take him away from me. I know deep down, if I let go of him, I will lose him for good. I am not ever going to let that happen.

So, I was right when the entire Hassan family decided to descend on me few minutes after we had this discussion.