3 Cruelty

Alhamdulillah, I posted my assignment right on time. Sadly certain assignments are not online submitted in the course I take. I hope I get to continue my grading. However, I haven't still recovered from the little tantrum Liz threw at me.

No matter how hard I try to be polite and nice, she makes it impossible with her abusive language and attitude. The post office is about 15 minutes drive but with traffic it took a good 2 hours to complete my work.

I was relieved to be at the university before Liz called me. I have an exam which I have to personally attend in 3 months time at the same university, which will then consider granting me a recommendation and part scholarship to a MBA. I have been studying for that over a month now. Yet, there is so much.

First, I didn't notice the headlight have been smashed, but when I took my books to sit on the bench facing the car, I noticed. The cost of the headlight will be more or less my entire savings and an years pay check. I looked around. Allah.

Can this be Liz, trying to take her revenge? But she was in lectures. So who could have done it? I couldn't concentrate at all. So I called Mr.Hunt's secretary and informed her the situation. Then Mr.Hunt spoke to me. I explained him too.

"Sir, I have some savings. I will pay for the headlight. Balance, you can reduce from my salary. It is my fault, I admit"

"Let's see what the insurance guys have to say"

It took another one hour for the insurance guys to come. Once they came, and did the assessment, they informed me, insurance can handle the matter from there. It was a relief, Alhamdulillah.

So, they replace the car with another and took the existing one for repair. I called the secretary again, and explained her the situation. I am glad it didn't end up bad.

At 5 p.m Liz retuned from her lectures.

"Where is my car?"

"A small mishap Miss" I opened the door for her to get in. But she didn't.

"What do you mean a small mishap?"

"Someone broke the headlight of the car. Insurance guys took the car for repairs but they replaced it with this one, until the car is returned" I explained.

"You f*cking bastard, I told you not to leave the car. I am going to have you head on the platter for this. Idiot" she yelled at me. Well, given my fault I kept quite, though I didn't appreciate her tone of voice.

Around 8 p.m, Mr.Hunt called me to his office. I went to him knowing well things can go either way.

"Asad, please sit"

"Dad, servants don't sit"

"It's okay sir. I'll stand" I told him.

"Why did you leave the car regardless of my daughter insisting you to stay?" he asked me.

"I had to post something today sir. It is the deadline. So, I left but for 2 hours" I told him honestly.

"Dad, he is applying for other jobs. You should fire him"

"Sir, it is an assignment I posted"

"What assignment?" Mr.Hunt asked interested.

"I am taking an online degree sir. Some assignments I have mail them, others by physically send them. This is one of those"

"Dad he is lying"

"What course are you taking?" Mr. Hunt asked curiously.

"Business administration specializing in international trading" I told him truthfully.

"Son, going forward leave your assignments with my secretary, who will post it for you" he told me.

"Son?" the word son took me and Liz both by surprise. It's been a while someone called me son. I reached out to shake Mr. Hunts hand. He was surprised by my gratitude. I had a feeling he is starting to like me.

"Thank you very much sir. I really appreciate it"

"Dad, what do you mean "son"? Do you know he is a Muslim? May be he is a terrorist who is here to kill us all and take your money. Just send him packing back to the cave he might have come from" she said with full of hatred.

"Don't worry about her Asad. She is the apple of my eyes. She will come across"

"Dad, send him off now. Don't tell me I didn't warn you" she said maliciously before leaving.

"Sir, Ms.Lizzie doesn't like me at all. May be I can drive you and Madam Hunt around, while Peter can take over Ms.Lizzie" I was praying for him to agree to that.

"No Asad. She will come across. Her mother and myself are to blame for her insensitivity. But don't mind her. If you need any help in your course, please don't hesitate to ask me. I was once, as ambitious and driven like you. You remind me a bit of myself" he said kindly.

"If you'd permit me the use of your library sir, that will be great. I have seen many books I wanted to read. But I didn't want to be imposing"

"No problem. Use it as much as you like. And Asad, my daughter can be really cruel. Just be careful and take care of her"

"I will sir"

********************************************************

My dad called him a "son". I couldn't believe it. This has to end. I can go to any extreme when I choose to. But I have to be wise. The damage to car didn't work out well. Insurance which I never thought of took care of the situation. What next to do?

Oh my god. I forgot about the date we had today. When I checked the phone 10 calls from Sam, Alina and Jessie. I called them back, explained briefly the situation for which they agreed we need to find a solution, and hang back as it is late to get dress and go. Thanks to the terrorist, I missed my date night.

I need some fresh air. So I went to my balcony overlooking the garden. I saw Asad near the fountain, seated with shoulders sagged, in deep thoughts. I watched him for a while. If not for the fact that I hate him, he has a real presence when he is around. He doesn't talk much or try to grab the attention, but there is a way he command attention to himself when needed. I have seen how the other servants smile at him and speak to him. He has been around for about 6 months now. Though I hardly give a f*ck, I still notice little things.

Then he moved his head to my direction, as he felt my gaze on him. I didn't move as this is my house. I can do whatever I want. But I hated myself for being aware of his gaze. He looked at me for about 5 seconds, stood up and went towards the servants quarter.

But I sat on the balcony long after thinking what I am suppose to do with him..