14 Memory

After like calling 100 times, my phone rang. I answered it in the first ring. It's 4 a.m.

"Babe why didn't you call me?"

"Oh Madam, I am Officer Henry calling. Your friend has had an accident and rushed to the hospital. We informed the person to whom the car is registered under also about the accident, and awaiting arrival. How are you related to him?"

"I am his fiancé. Where is he now?" I asked panicked. I couldn't control my voice from shaking. The officer gave me the direction, and I didn't care what, I just went down calling Peter to drive me to the hospital. It was then I saw mum coming home with her now boyfriend.

"Can you ask him to drive me to the hospital? Asad met with an accident" I pleaded my mum.

"Liz, I hardly care about you, and what makes you think I care about him? Just get out of my sight" she told me rudely.

"Please mum, Peter isn't answering the phone. Your friend can drop me" I couldn't stop tears streaming down my face. I thought a little part of mum would at least help me. But she just laughed while walking away. I got my purse. Ran to the road to take a taxi. After 10 minutes of waiting I got one. I gave him the direction.

"Miss. Are you alright?" he asked. From his appearance I knew he is a Muslim.

"My fiancé met with an accident"

"Don't worry madam, Inshallah he will be okay" he said kindly. What surprised me most was he refuse to take money when he dropped me.

"I will pray for his speedy recovery madam. You go now" he said ever so kindly.

When I reached the hospital, all the Hassan family were there, including Fathima. I know I would have looked a mess but I don't care.

"Where is he?" I asked the elderly man whom I believed is Mr.Hassan.

"He is in the operation theatre. Drunk driving. A severe blow to his head, and he has lost a lot of blood by the time help came" he told me.

I just sat on while sobbing. Everyone looked shocked. I didn't care. I just lost my father about 2 months ago and I am not ready to lose the love of my life now.

"Who are you dear?" Mr. Hassan asked ever so gently.

"She is Liz. Asad worked for her before" Fathima replied instead. She is crying too.

"He will be okay Liz. Come, you make yourself comfortable while we wait for him" he told me pulling me up and giving me a hug.

It took about 5 hours for the doctors to confirm Asad is finally out of danger. But only Mr. Hassan was allowed to see him despite me trying hard to go with him.

"Just go away Liz. we don't want you here" Fathima told me.

"Now listen to me nasty bitch, I have put up with all your drama in campus, but that's it. Asad asked me to marry him. And I will. If you try to mess with me, this time I will not deal it kindly" I told her extremely angry.

I didn't move from the seat for 3 days. Alina and Sam came on and off. I didn't go home, I didn't sleep or eat, I just sat on that chair until they let me see him. But the 3rd day passed by I became impatient. But finally in the evening when all the Hassans left, I was asked to come in by a kind nurse.

"Don't take long  dear. No one is allowed to stay in"

When I first saw Asad, I couldn't believe my eyes. His head was fully covered in bandage. Fractured left arm and broken ribs. According to doctors it would take atleast 6 months to fully recover.

I called my mother.

"Mum, I need money. Take whatever property dad left. I will sign. Take everything. I will need some cash right away to pay for Asad's care in the hospital and whatever the treatment latter. Bear the full cost and I will forego the 25% of whatever dad left in my care" I told her willing to do anything.

"Wait"

It took almost 3 hours for mum to get back to me, and she did.. I had to sign some papers, which I am alright with. I don't need money or property. I signed every thing even without even reading it. And then, I was grant not only permission to be inside but also, stay as long as I need.

The Hassans weren't happy to see me with Asad. Fathima made an issue about it, but they couldn't do much as I know my mums influence surpass whatever influence Mr.Hassan has. I stayed for another 2 more days, still Asad unconscious.

It is at this point, I saw Mrs. Hassan reading a book of Islamic supplications. I know Asad is a firm believer. And I don't know at point I start believing in God, but I do too. And though I knew Mrs. Hassan not happy to see me there and passing me really dirty looks every time she sees me, I still asked to borrow the book.

I prayed for God day and night for the last 5 days but it meant so much to pray in a language and mode Asad believes and love. Doctors said he will recover from his comma but still. I hardly slept for the next 3 days. I didn't move a muscle away from Asad. I stayed by his bed. Sam and Alina got me change over and I was every thankful.

By this time, Fathima tried to assume the post of caretaker. That is not for her. He is my man, and I will do what I have to do. So we had many arguments, and once Mr. Hassan has to drag her kicking and screaming from the hospital.

I was reciting a supplication in Arabic for quick recovery, when I first saw a small movement in Asad. I wasn't sure if I was dreaming, so I watched for a while, still reciting, when I saw him trying to murmur something. I knew he is gaining conscious.

I called all the doctors and nurses. I waited outside until they finish whatever they were doing, and I was crying tears of joy when they informed me Asad had gain consciousness. But they ask me to be outside until they finish the final inspection.

I had no idea by this time my world is crumbling.

The impact on the head has resulted in an Amnesia. And when the doctors informed me about this I refused to believe it. I am so glad he gain consciousness. I can work around his memory latter.

But only if it had been that simple..