18 Pleasant Suprise

Asad had to stay in the hospital for two weeks as his headache kept growing. The doctors found no apparent reason for the pain but I was getting to worry. His treatments are expensive but I don't mind spending every dollar I have to make sure he is well.

He is also getting impatient with his memory. Which is wearing him out. Especially he wants to remember me. He kept asking for small details and then try to work his mind around it. Though doctors said it is okay and normal in such patience, it didn't make me feel any better.

"It doesn't matter what I felt for you and how I felt for you Amirah, I am going to marry you when my arm and leg is healed. I cant remember why I fell in love with you then, but now I know why I am so madly , deeply and crazily in love with you. That is good enough to keep you with me"

I could have traded my entire life to just hear him say it with such passion, love and obsession. So, I did what I could do to show him my love. I kissed him. I know when I kiss him, it makes him happy. And he likes it. I mean, he has to else he wouldn't be loving me. We had to break our kiss when someone entered the room.

I straighten, and blushed a little bit. It was Mr. Hassan.

"Assalamualaikum Asad, Liz" he said.

"Walaikumsalaam" we both replied. Well, Asad doesn't say good morning or any other greeting. He always greet me with Assalamualaikum, which he is a supplication by its nature. Though I didn't know how to respond initially, now I know. Which stunned Mr. Hassan. He smiled.

"Please come in Mr. Hassan. It's nice to see you" I said extending my hand. He was hesitant to take it first, but then he gave me a hug.

"You are like a daughter to me"

And I didn't know I am such a watering pot, but my eyes blurred with tears. Well, if my dad had been alive, he would have help me take care of Asad better. I don't need money, but I need people help, which I only get from Alina and Sam. They seldom visit me as they have their own boyfriends and work. They party, go out for movies and do all sorts of things once I was the center of it, but now those things no longer interests me. Asad had many occasions literally forced me to go out and hang out with them. But I don't leave him alone. Not for a second. They come and visit me.

"Thanks Mr. Hassan. To hear you say it means a lot"

"And how are you doing Asad? Dr. Safia is a family friend. She informed me that you are back in the hospital and I thought I'll drop by to see you. I am sorry, last time when we visited you, it wasn't a nice experience. Not a day pass by I don't regret out actions"

"Mr. Hassan, please. Amirah told me how you helped me during my difficult times. I have nothing but gratitude for what you done, and respect for how you took care of me" Asad replied.

"It's ok son. All the doctors has nothing but praises for Liz, or shall I call her also Amirah?" he asked me. I smiled and nodded in agreement.

"She has been an angel Mr. Hassan. Though I am deeply sorry that my decision to remain with Amirah has caused friction between us, I don't regret it at all. I just want to get out of these bandages, so that I can marry her without any delay" Asad said looking at me with a tender expression in his eyes.

"Well, as an Imaam of a mosque, I will be honored to perform the nikkah, when ever you are ready"

And we spoke for another half an hour before he excused himself to go.

Mrs. Hassan came to see us the following day. I wasn't sure how things would turn out. She brought food for Asad and me, and a shalwar-kameez typical Pakistani, Indian and Afghani dress apparently. Her food was delicious too.

And Asad's two weeks at the hospital was at an end. Doctors removed the bandage of the hand, but advised to keep the leg bandaged for another couple of weeks. By now it's almost 3 months since we started this journey. I also had my designing work almost completed.

Mr. Hassan was gracious enough to visit us on the following day. But what shocked me most was to see Fathima with him. I was not feeling any welcoming feelings towards her. The old Liz would have toss her out, but I have much more patience.

"Please, make yourself at home" I invited them inside.

"You have kept this place pretty nice" Fathima said appreciating my home décor.

"Thanks Fathima. Asad is in the room. Let me ask him to come here"

Once Asad started conversing with the father and daughter, I prepared food and tea, which is a custom in most of the Muslim household. Apparently they are extremely generous to their guests, something new to me, but I am learning fast. Asad beamed with pride when I spread the table with food and beverage.

Father and daughter both enjoyed my food. And we fell in to easy company. Fathima was polite and gracious.

"Liz, can I have a word with you in private?"

"Yeah, please come with me" and we went to balcony where we could sit and talk.

"I am sorry for whatever that went through with us. I know I have been pretty mean to you, and plotting towards Asad. I liked him and thought he is a wonderful guy. Just wanted to make him mine. But the way I went about it is wrong. I shouldn't have been malicious towards you. I am sorry"

It took a moment to sink in all that at once.

"I know it must be a surprise to you. I am going to a lecture on perfection of character by one of the renown scholars of our time. After deep contemplation, I felt the need to apologize. After all, I don't lose anything by apologizing but hopefully gain a friend and a brother" she said somewhat unsure of how I would respond.

I gave her a tight hug.

"I am sorry too. My feelings for you have not been any different than what yours have been for me. I was a pretty ugly character before I met Asad. But I tell you something, though all this is still quite new to me, I like it. I have come to pass the superficial character of myself. The spoilt rich girl who was cruel and mean to everyone is gone. And what I am right now, though it feels wrongs to say is someone I can be proud of, though I am sure I can use a little bit of help from you to become better"

And we smiled, laughed and talked for a good one hour before we return to Asad and Mr. Hassan. Asad calls me Amirah almost all the time. But he also use Liz now and then. I don't actually care what he calls me as long as he does it with love.

"Liz, Mr,Hassan had asked me to take my responsibilities at office. Since I can use both my hands, he says I can start work whenever I want"

"That's great honey. Do you want to work?"

"I asked him sometime before I do. I have to sort out your things first" he said.

Fathima was curious to what stuff. When I showed her my designs, she was amazed.

"Oh my God, Mashallah. These are beautiful. Really beautiful. I'll help you with the set up" she said truly amazed. And the idea made me excited. Fathima is a well dressed modern kind of a Muslim girl. The niche  I am targeting is the likes of her, and likes of me. A combination. Her input and cooperation would mean a lot.

"Asad, I think me and fathima can work out the initial set up of Asma. When we need advise we will reach you and Mr. Hassan for it. What do you say Fathima?" I asked her.

And hence began the planning and execution of project which became one of the leadings brands in Europe, Middle East and Asia.