The Town That Dreaded Sundown // Part One

I was finally convinced that Riverdale was going crazy

I was finally convinced that Riverdale was going crazy. Not only was there a killer running around, but Archie Andrews, infamous redheaded football player, banded together a group called the Red Circle. Last week, post the awkward family dinner at the Pembrooke, Archie went out and made a video threatening the Black Hood. Now, it was coming to bite him in the butt.

Mayor McCoy, Sheriff Keller, and plenty others, including the entire high school, had caught wind of the video. An emergency meeting was scheduled at town hall, nobody walked alone, and we were all waiting in fear for when the Black Hood would strike next.

Two people who had seen Archie's video were standing in front of my sister and me at the moment. Hiram and Hermione Lodge looked anything less than pleased by the fact that their daughter was dating the ringleader of the Red Circle, but I knew Ronnie wouldn't budge.

"To be honest, I had no idea what Archie was thinking." Veronica shrugged as she took a drink.

Mom squeezed the back of my chair tighter as she stared my sister down. "He didn't say anything to you about this video?"

Veronica gave her a deadbeat look. "Am I my boyfriend's keeper?"

"Basta, mija. This isn't something you should be joking about," Mom chastised.

"It's a video, Mom," I piped up from my seat.

Mom nodded. "Yes, threatening violence."

My sister rolled her eyes before turning to our father who was standing a few feet away. "Daddy, can you please tell Mom she's overreacting?"

Our parents shifted their stances a bit. Mom's look was almost threatening, as if she was daring Dad to disagree with her. He glanced between the two before answering, "On this matter, Veronica, I stand with your mother."

"Which means," Mom started again, "You are done dating Archie Andrews."

My jaw dropped at her words. I didn't dare say anything for fear of her ratting me out next. I wasn't about to lose Jughead because of something Archie did.

"This isn't Amish country, Mom. I can date who I want to date. And I'm not jumping to any conclusions until I hear Archie's side of the story." Veronica pushed her chair out and stomped out of the room.

I glanced between my two parents before standing up and following her idea. I wasn't about to listen to whatever they had to say about Archie. Too many secrets were still in this family, no matter how much transparency we pushed for.

School was bound to be hell, as usual. People were talking nonstop about Archie's video and I was sick of it. So, it was a video, get over it. Our emotions get the best of us all at one point. Archie's no different.

"Hey, Betts," I called out as I walked in the Blue and Gold. With Jughead gone, majority of my time was spent in this office. She was digging the mail out of the bin with her phone pressed to her ear.