Chapter Twenty ☆

Start from the beginning

Eliza caught Dawn's voice again, this time from the front door. "Oh... Who are you?" Dawn's tone carried an intriguing nuance, hinting at unexpected interest in the person outside. Curiosity tugged at Eliza, coaxing her down the stairs, each step slow and deliberate, as if her mere presence on the staircase might render her invisible.

"I'm looking for someone," Donovan's voice rasped, its distinctive quality tingling in Eliza's ears. With her newfound sensory skills, she could discern his breaths, each one becoming a marker of his proximity. Balancing herself with a hand on the railing, Eliza positioned herself midway down the stairs, inadvertently becoming an eavesdropper in her own home.

"Sure, just give me a moment," Dawn responded from the entrance, her voice calm and collected.

Eliza's ears picked up the sound of Dawn's footsteps approaching, then abruptly halting. She must have startled her with her stillness. Dawn's hand rose to pinch her chin between thumb and index finger, a telltale sign of her contemplation.

Dawn's eyes lifted to meet Eliza's gaze. "I'm guessing you two are acquainted?"

"Yeah, we've crossed paths before," Eliza answered.

"Alright then. I'll be in my room if you need anything," Dawn smiled before retreating up the stairs.

Donovan cleared his throat, prompting Eliza to turn her attention towards him. She watched as Dawn vanished into her room. Slowly, step by step, Eliza descended the stairs, closing the distance between herself and the stranger. His entrance into her home was uninvited, and she intended to make her thoughts known.

"I didn't invite you in," Eliza began, her tone firm.

"Doesn't matter," Donovan replied, his voice carrying an air of nonchalance.

Eliza's lips pursed, arms folding in front of her. "So, what brings you here?"

Donovan held his broomstick in his grip, his fingers tracing the walls as he studied the surroundings. He pivoted to face her, then opened the door, his senses seemingly attuned to the space. He inhaled, a thoughtful expression crossing his features. "Mystics have visited here, haven't they?"

Eliza nodded. "Quite a few."

"Who dealt with them?" Donovan's chuckle rippled through the air.

Eliza met his gaze unflinchingly. "I took care of them myself. Funny how you doubt my capabilities."

A wry smile curled Donovan's lips as he turned to face her fully. His thumb gestured back at the door behind him. "Your door's charmed."

Eliza offered a knowing nod. "Yep, I'm aware. Is that all you came here to see? You followed me home. Starting to think you're quite the stalker."

Donovan's lips twitched, a semblance of amusement in his eyes. "Maybe I just wanted to make sure you're not as reckless as you seem."

A challenging spark ignited within Eliza's gaze. "Well, congrats, you've checked. Now you can go."

His chuckle was low, carrying an undertone of intrigue. "You're feistier than I thought."

Eliza met his gaze with a smirk of her own. "You haven't seen anything yet."

"It's not as weird as it sounds. I just wanted to make sure you were alright. I'm not the only witch around here. Having you around might actually complicate things for me," Donovan confessed.

Eliza's gaze flickered downward, then back up at him as she led him to her front door. As she opened it, she conveyed the message that he was free to leave. But before she could react, he reached out and gripped her arm, urging her outside.