Chapter Twenty ☆

Start from the beginning

 Fingers working nimbly, Dawn carefully untangled the hair from the glasses, her touch gentle against Eliza's scalp. A relieved sigh escaped Eliza as she reached the bed, her eyes scanning the assortment of clothing. A self-assured grin tugged at her lips as she exchanged a knowing look with Dawn.

Dawn traced the countertop with her fingertips, her eyes alight with mischief. Scissors glinted in her grasp, mischief dancing in her gaze.

"Let's add a little spice, shall we?" Dawn's voice carried an impish note as she snipped the air with the scissors, the sound crisp and purposeful.

Stretching the leather pants across the bedspread, Dawn embarked on a careful endeavor, the scissors grazing the fabric in measured movements. Strategic slices emerged, tracing sleek lines across the material, unveiling subtle peeks of skin. With a deft flip, she replicated the incisions on the opposite side, her focus unbroken as she etched similar openings along the thighs.

Eliza's smile widened, an exhilarating energy surging through her veins as she watched the transformation take shape. Dawn's movements were calculated, her pink hair swirling around her as she circled Eliza.

"Why the glasses?" Dawn's voice danced with curiosity. "Your eyesight's been fine, hasn't it?"

"I've just been wearing them...to shield myself," Eliza's voice was a quiet admission, her fingers adjusting the frames.

Dawn's laughter rang melodiously. "More than just glasses, huh? Your...assets seem to have grown too. I didn't want to say anything." A sly wink accompanied her words, her gaze dipping to Eliza's chest. "Clearer skin, a fresh look." A puzzled expression flitted across Dawn's face, her eyes searching. "You're really sure you don't need those glasses?"

Before Eliza could respond, Dawn snatched the slightly crooked glasses from her face and snapped them in a swift, decisive motion. Eliza's gasp hung in the air, her eyes locked on the scene unfolding before her.

The glasses sailed out of the window, a casual toss from Dawn's hand. "No need for those anymore," Dawn stated with an air of finality, a nonchalant shrug accompanying her words.

"But I..." Eliza began, her sentence trailing off as she grappled with her thoughts.

"No more debates," Dawn interjected firmly, her tone unwavering. "Are you serious about saving your mom?" Impatience laced her words, her gaze unyielding, seeking an answer in Eliza's eyes.

"Well, yeah," Eliza mumbled, avoiding direct eye contact.

"Honey, you need to look the part," Dawn's voice was firm, a whip of her hair emphasizing her point.

Once Dawn finished altering Eliza's clothes, she placed the mask atop one of Eliza's counters. Dawn left clear instructions for the morning routine – hair and mascara – before school.

"Moderate makeup. Your natural beauty shines through. You've got this," Dawn's smile radiated encouragement. "Your wardrobe's already great. No need to worry about that. Friday's tomorrow, and I'll be out early for one of my classes, so I'll catch you on campus."

Watching Dawn exit her room and close the door behind her, Eliza exhaled a mixture of disbelief and excitement. The night had been utterly surreal, culminating in their 'acquisition' of items from Witcher's Place. Her mother's inexplicable disappearance had thrust her into a world of mystery, one that Dawn willingly joined her in unraveling. The sense of purpose was electrifying, and Eliza reveled in it.

A knock echoed through the house. "I got it!" Dawn's voice rang from downstairs. Eliza assumed she was in the kitchen. With a quick reach, Eliza grabbed her broomstick that rested atop the leathery witch outfit.