Chapter Nineteen ☆

Start from the beginning

Eliza had yet to dip her toes into the raucous world of college house parties. The thumping music, the crush of bodies—it simply wasn't her scene. As she tucked her phone back into her purse, she lifted her gaze, half-hoping Eric had vanished for good.

But a familiar scent caught her attention—a sharp tang of vinegar that had become synonymous with Miss Canary. The house was a short distance away, and Eliza's curiosity propelled her towards it. She stepped inside, the door closing softly behind her.

Before she could take more than a couple of steps, a strong scent of cologne enveloped her senses. A shiver ran down her spine as she turned around, finding herself trapped between Eric's firm arms and the car's cool metal. His grin was smug, his eyes trailing over her with a mixture of audacity and familiarity.

"Looks like you've decided to grace us with your presence," Eric's voice was a low murmur, a blend of cockiness and teasing.

Eliza's brows furrowed as her lips pressed into a thin line. "Eric, let me go."

But he wasn't ready to release her. He shifted slightly, a playful smirk tugging at his lips. Eliza's back was pressed against the car, the sensation oddly electric. His proximity set her on edge, a mix of irritation and wariness twisting in her gut.

"I haven't heard from you since the beach event," Eric's tone was equal parts casual and probing.

Eliza's eyes flickered, a mixture of emotions dancing across her features. "Life got busy, you know?"

"Busy, huh?" Eric's gaze held a glint of skepticism as he leaned in closer.

Eliza's resolve intensified. She wasn't here to discuss her absence; she had a more pressing matter to address. "Why were you at my mom's house?"

Eric's façade wavered for a moment, his casual demeanor slipping. Caught off guard, he quickly recovered, a wry smile playing on his lips. Eliza's stare remained unwavering, determined to cut through any pretense.

"Well, you see," Eric began, his words carefully chosen.

Eliza's patience wore thin. "Don't bother with the excuses. Just tell me."

His gaze met hers, a silent battle of wills. "Fine, curiosity got the better of me. Your mom and I had a chat."

Suspicion flared within Eliza, and she knew there was more to the story. With Eric, there always was.

"She's asked for my help with some things," Eric admitted, flashing a mischievous grin that didn't sit well with Eliza.

"Like what? Playing matchmaker?" Eliza quirked an eyebrow, skepticism clear in her voice.

Eric chuckled softly. "You could say that."

Before Eliza could dig deeper into his cryptic response, her attention was diverted by the sight of her mother emerging from the house. But this was unlike any version of her mom she'd seen before. The torn shirt, the bruises, the scars—Eliza's heart clenched with concern.

"Mom..." Eliza's voice was a mix of worry and relief, a tumultuous blend of emotions.

Her mother's gaze met hers briefly, cold and distant. Eliza's breath caught in her throat as she noticed the new markings on her skin. They were out in the open, a visual representation of something she couldn't quite grasp.

Without a word, her mom stowed her broomstick away and headed towards a waiting car, Eric trailing behind her with a cheeky comment that earned an eye roll from Eliza. She couldn't let them just drive away, not with so many unanswered questions.

Eliza bolted towards the car, ignoring everything else around her. She needed to halt this, to protect her mother at all costs. The road blurred beneath her feet as she dashed across, the car speeding off with her mother inside.