Chapter Nineteen ☆

Start from the beginning

Jared leapt onto a nearby counter, meeting her gaze. "It's a rare rose from Ellevil."

Eliza's confusion was palpable. "Ellevil? Seriously, what's that?"

Jared let out a resigned sigh. "It's an elf kingdom. There are two more: Mervil and Faevil, the mermaid and fairy domains."

"Why did Miss Canary give me that rose when I was just a kid?" Eliza wondered aloud, her voice tinged with intrigue.

Jared shrugged, a puzzled expression on his face. "Honestly, I have no clue."

Determined, Eliza's gaze sharpened. "Well, we're not leaving it at that. I'm heading back to Miss Canary's to get some answers."

Dawn placed a reassuring hand on Eliza's shoulder. "Can we maybe tackle this tomorrow? I'm seriously drained." With a small smile, she retreated into her room, and Jared slipped away as well.

Alone, Eliza held the radiant rose in her palms, studying it with a mix of fascination and confusion. The glow of her own markings reflected the rose's luminance, creating an inexplicable connection that left her pondering.

Retrieving the purloined note from Miss Canary's home, Eliza's eyes scanned the words. As she yawned up to her room.

☆☆☆

The next day dawned with renewed purpose. Eliza got ready and considered their agenda. First on the list: a return visit to Miss Canary's to unearth the truth behind the Ellevil rose. Yet, the nagging concern for her mother's safety also tugged at her.

Jared had vanished into the woods earlier, citing his own business. His cryptic behavior gnawed at Eliza, a cloud of secrecy shrouding his actions. She yearned for transparency, feeling that every bit of knowledge was crucial in her quest to become a skilled mystic assassin.

Eliza's unconventional learning curve was yielding results, and her triumph over a malevolent mystic was a badge of honor. Dawn's unwavering support amplified her growth, and their partnership was a cornerstone of her journey.

Walking alongside Dawn, the urban hum of the street surrounded them. Eavesdropping on a conversation, Eliza's interest piqued as two girls discussed Stacy.

"Did you hear? Stacy's throwing a party this weekend. We should totally go!"

Eliza turned to Dawn with a determined spark in her eyes. "Stacy's throwing a party? We've got to gather intel and make sure it's not some twisted plot."

Dawn's agreement resonated. "Leave that to me. You focus on your visit to Miss Canary's."

"Thanks, Dawn." Eliza's smile radiated her gratitude.

Dawn deftly joined the girls' conversation, embedding herself in their plans seamlessly.

Eliza settled into her car, the engine humming to life. As she drove, memories of her childhood home resurfaced, along with the unease of weeks-long neglect. Her mother's enigmatic disappearance stoked worry within her, a mix of frustration and longing.

In her car, Eliza killed the engine, greeted by an eerie silence. She observed a figure emerging from her mother's house, and recognition flooded her as she spotted Eric, a familiar face from her past. Curiosity and surprise mingled as Eric glanced around, a knowing grin on his lips.

Quickly ducking out of sight, Eliza's phone buzzed with a message from Dawn.

Dawn: It's this Saturday at her townhouse. She's calling it a 'relief' party after finding her boyfriend.

Eliza's eyes widened, the implications of Stacy's gathering racing through her mind. The entangled web of mysteries seemed to tighten, but Eliza was determined to unravel each knot.