Chapter 17: The Vytal Festival Tournament

Brian stood on the entrance ramp to the arena, where the Tournament was ready to begin it's first stage, the 4-on-4 team battle. He glanced back at his team who was behind him, getting some last minute adjustments on their weapons.

'Hi mom'

Brian patiently stood behind his girlfriend, his hands behind his back politely. They were both looking at the grave that was by the cliff, an odd, but quite majestic place to bury someone. Ruby had told him that this was where her mother was buried and where she spent most of her time before leaving for Beacon. 'I'm sorry that I haven't been coming around often...things have been kind of busy,'

She turned around and gestured toward her father, who was in the background. 'Dad's here too! He's....you know...dad,' She said with a shrug. 'He is still teaching at Signal, but he told me that he is going to be going on some missions soon! I think he misses adventuring with you,'

She looked down at the ground. 'I miss you too,'

After a short pause, her smile reappeared. 'I haven't gotten kicked out Beacon yet! I really think that being on a team with Yang helps...you know to keep her in line,' She said before awkwardly adding. 'That was a joke,'

The scythe-weilder shuffled her feet. 'She is actually a really good fighter and you can tell that she has leaned a lot from Dad! Oh and so are Weiss and Blake...' She said, going wide-eyed when she remembered that she hadn't talked about her team yet. 'Oh they are my teammates! Together we make Team RWBY! And yes, I know there is a little confusion there, but yeah I'm the leader,'

She gestured to Brian behind her and the musician stepped forward.

'I've met a lot of new friends...surprising I know...and even more surprising then that,' She said, pointing to Brian. 'This is my boyfriend, Brian Van Vorst,'

Brian bowed his head in respect. 'Hello ma'am. My name is Brian Van Vorst and I go to the same Academy as your daughter. You wouldn't believe what both Ruby's and my team has been through the past couple months, but we seem well on our way to become Huntsmen,' he said as nodded his head towards his girlfriend. 'Your daughter is an excellent scythe-weilder and she seems to be able to handle herself well,'

Brian turned his head back to the grave. 'But you have my word that I will do anything to protect Ruby. She means too much to me to ever get hurt,' he said with a smile.

They both heard a bark and turned around. Zwei was sitting on the ground next to Ruby's father, who was beckoning them to him. 'Oh that's dad! He's taking us to the Tournament before he leaves for his mission!' Ruby exclaimed as she put her hood on and began to turn. Before she walked away, her smile faded and her eyes began to water. 'I love you mom. This was a good talk,'

Brian felt his heart inside tingle and tear left his eye. 'It was very nice meeting you Mrs. Rose,' he said as he turned to walk away, Ruby following.

A couple birds flew over them and Brian followed them with his eyes. They flew towards the sun in a specific pattern and Brian could once again feel tears leaving his face. 'Whoever it was who created this world....thank you,' he thought to himself as he wiped his tears and continued towards Ruby's father.

Brian smiled and clenched his fist. It was the first battle of the day and Team BAGE was up first. "You guys ready for this?" He asked his team, who nodded.