Chapter 23

The ship swayed and lurched on every gust of wind. The men were doing their best to get them far away from Captain Eagle and his crew. Chances were the crew had no idea why they were even fleeing from them. Everything had happened so quickly. So quick, that now she sat looking at blood slowly trickling out of Arus's wound. 

Charlie had brought some cloth and clean water but now she had to remove the bullet. Isabella scrubbed her hands raw. If she tried to dig out the wound with dirty hands there would be an awful infection. Her mother had taught her that. 

Pulling a dagger free from her belt she ran it under the back of his shirt and tore up. Only then was she able to move the fabric from his wound without shifting him off of his stomach. 

"Isa..."

She closed her eyes a moment letting the dark sinful voice wash over her. Only her family called her Isa. It wasn't something she'd heard often from anyone else. 

"Are you feeling alright?" What a stupid question to ask...

"I'm fine. I will be better once you get that bullet out of me. Are you okay?"

How could he ask her that...and right now when he had a bullet lodged in his shoulder. 

Muscles tensing under her hands"Did he hurt you? If he hurt you--"

"I'm also fine," she said cutting him off before he got himself worked up. Carefully she mopped up the blood around the wound so she could see better and leaned over him. The sight of the wound was sickening. Flesh had been shredded on entry. A round hole led inward, and she handed Arus a rolled up cloth.

"Bite down. This is going to hurt awful."

He took the cloth into his mouth and bit down, then placed his arms on the headboard of the bed and gripped each side firmly. 

Isabella felt perspiration gather at her temples and cracked the window to let some fresh air in. The breeze did little to slow her heart rate. The man laying on his back was being so stoic about something so painful. He'd protected her even though it could have costed him his own life. Either he really needed what that key unlocked, or he was beginning to care for her. Could she dare believe it could be both? 

A sharp tug in her chest told her she felt too much for the man that had stolen her away from her family. So much so that the thought of hurting him by plunging her finger into his wound hurt her nearly as much. 

"Are you sure?"

He gave a sharp nod and she worked her finger down into the moist heat of his wound. She caught sight of his jaw flexing and his eyes pinched tightly together. She didn't want to prolong the pain but moving faster than she was might damage more tissue. He growled long and hard when her second knuckle was entering. 

"I'm so sorry. Hold on." She spoke not knowing if he'd even notice. His head was turned sideways and sweat trickled down from his temple to his cheek. His back muscles flexed harshly. 

Her finger sank deeper until she wiggled and found the end of the channel. It was then she felt something hard and smooth that wasn't naturally a part of his body. "I feel it." Her breathing was rapid and she feared that she might pass out. 

Now is not the time! 

Steadying her breaths was difficult under the snarling man beneath her. Carefully she hooked her finger under the lead ball and tried to force it upward. It was a slow process. Too slow. 

She heard a creak, and snap and she glanced up. His grip on the headboard was breaking it. Heavens he was strong. 

Once she had it nearly out, the ball slipped around her finger and dropped back down some. Shit.