Nine- Crooked Neighbours

A/N- Sorry about the long wait and the soppy chapter. One of these days, I will make a fic, and it will actually be painful. I won’t go on about why it’s like this, but I hope you all enjoy it! Also, there are quite a few multifandom references, if anyone can spot them. ^_^

SHERLOCK

AS IT WAS JOHN’S first lesson at Baskerville, and I was actually hoping that drama wouldn’t play out too tardily. But of course, education was unwilling to comply; it seemed the first lesson of every subject every new academic year would flow slower each time, with the teachers introducing themselves (again) and then introducing us to the subject (again). I glanced at John. He looked like he was about to fall asleep.

Since her conversation couldn’t distract me, I deduced what the drama teacher had done over the summer holidays. Easy- judging by her tan and her bracelet, she’d been to Greece over the summer. She was also pregnant, but I didn’t think I’d spoil that for her. Besides, none of these things seemed to matter- my mind seemed to always slip back to John and my page of ‘notes’ was discarded- I was drawing something or other, but I didn’t bother to look down to see what until it was too late, and the drama teacher had snatched it up from underneath my hands and lifted it to her face.

And if there’s one thing that drama teachers all have in common, it’s their shared love of making a scene. “Mr Holmes,” she snapped, then held my notebook up for the whole class to see. “Would you care to explain why you are drawing Mr Watson rather when you ought to be participating in my lesson?”

“Erm…”

A lot of people were staring at me. Most of them were giggling. John had gone very red.

“This is not an art lesson, Mr Holmes,” her glare snapped to John. “Mr Watson, did you put him up to this?”

John looked like he was about to argue my case, so I cut in before he could. “No, Miss, he didn’t. You see, I actually hit my head this morning, and I think we have art next. I must have gotten confused, seeing as drama is such an artistic subject.”

 She looked at me for a moment, and then threw my book back onto my desk. “I’ll see you at lunchtime, Mr Holmes.”

“Can’t wait,” I said sarcastically. I didn’t really care- drama wasn’t even one of my mandatory subjects. She shot me another warning glance. I decided some kind of effort may be required here, even though our tasks would be perfectly predictable and-

John was leaning in to look at the drawing in my book. I turned to face him.

It’s good, he mouthed. Really good.

I made sure that the teacher was facing the board, then nodded in thanks.

Why were you drawing me? He raised an eyebrow.

You’re… For once, I was lost for words.

I’m? His mouth stretched slightly to one side.

You’re very… Well…

Yes?

The drama teacher turned around to eye me suspiciously, so we pretended to work until she faced the board again. I tore out a page in my book and wrote on it. I slipped it over to John as swiftly as possible, and then made a couple of notes, avoiding eye contact with everyone and everything.

“Lunch time, Mr Holmes,” the Hawkwoman reminded me stiffly as we left the classroom.

“It’s a boy, Mrs Leeds,” I muttered under my breath.