Chapter Four- I Trust You

Sherlock

I really shouldn’t have risked picking him up, but it wasn’t my fault that he’d fallen off the sofa.

It wasn’t my fault that he’d looked so defenceless like the floor was going to swallow him up, and that he was kicking and thrashing like he was trying to run away from it but he couldn’t.

It was, however, my fault that I was being so illogical. But I liked John- he was interesting, and didn’t seem to be too much of a bumbling idiot unlike everyone else. And he liked me too, as it seemed, which was rare but was probably for the best if we were to be roommates.

I just hoped he would be able to tolerate me- not many people could. Which was fine. And, after all, even if he did find that he couldn’t tolerate me I couldn’t say I hadn’t warned him.

The frighteningly fuzzy warmth in my stomach turned into a cold twist in less than a millisecond. I hope that doesn’t happen.

I can’t afford to lose him.

No, no, not like that. You can’t afford to think like that.

This thought should have pushed me away. I should have closed all of those things off. But it was too tantalizing to resist, which was exceptionally odd because when I didn’t want to think about or feel something, I could usually shut it off like a bad metal song on a phone. Will he liked me when he gets to know me even more? What’s so bad that he keeps kicking? Why do I regret saying those things about it being better ‘this way’ earlier? Would it be odd if I sat next to him and put my hand on his shoulder so he’d stop kicking? Is this… Sentiment?

I shouldn’t have put that particular song on a loop. I didn’t want to sound as if I was implying anything by it.

But perhaps I could ‘use somebody’.

Perhaps he could too.

But not like that.

Shut up.

I tried inventing a case to distract myself.

I solved it in eleven seconds.

For God’s sake. Stop thinking about John Watson.

~~~~

“Mmm… GAH!” John’s stretch and sigh soon turned into a shout when his eyelids flitted open. “Sherlock!”

“Mm?”

“Were you watching me sleep?”

“I was waiting for you to wake up… My apologies.”

“No, no, it’s fine… You just gave me a bit of a fright, that’s all. Think you could maybe just not be… well, right there in my face next time? I mean… Oh, god, it’s not that I don’t like your face, I just… Damn. Okay. It’s just a bit scary to wake up to somebody right there in the morning. Unless you slept together. Not that we’re going to sleep together… I’m just referring to-”

“John,” I smirked. “’Think you could maybe just not be right there in my face next time?’ would have been perfectly acceptable.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s alright. I put your phone on charge for you, by the way.”

“Thanks- wait. Did you go into my bag?”

“No- my charger just so happens to be compatible with your phone,” I laughed. “Don’t look so worried. I usually wait until everything’s out of the suitcase before I start snooping around.”