PART TWO- Interlock

Interlock
(v. to join together)

"BONNIE AND CLYDE ARE AT IT AGAIN"

Sherlock
John and I stuck around at Baskerville for half term. Neither of us felt the need to talk about why.

By the time the majority of students had thrown themselves into their cars and left for their plastic houses with their plastic parents, those of us who weren’t as eager to play happy families were left over.

From where we stood on the second morning, John broke the silence. “Bonnie and Clyde are at it again.”

“Bonnie and- oh.” ‘Jim’ and ‘Seb’ had carelessly left their curtains again for the rest of the stragglers to see, in detail, their “tongue wars” as John called them; and he was right. Not that it would be of any surprise to anybody, but I’d never known that people could or would want to put that much chaotic effort into kissing.

They’d gone ‘public’ a few weeks ago, and the mouth battles were regularly witnessed by… everybody, actually. Students, teachers; but the oddest thing was, nobody complained. Nobody screamed called them faggots and fairies like they did when Darryl in year eleven came out the year before. Nobody complained about ‘PDA’. Nobody threw their breakfast at them. “Maybe everybody’s got a bit more accepting,” John had commented and I nodded, but remained unconvinced; in a place like this, in a world like this, “everybody” couldn’t accept that quickly, as nice as it would be to believe. But then again, I was a cynic. John, no accounting for his taste in friends or his uneasy background, still had faith in the goodness of people.

Things were becoming less and less easy to link. I needed a fix.

I laughed quietly, shaking my head. “I can’t believe I didn’t think of that. Bonnie and Clyde.”

John smiled at me. “So am I. They’re scary.”

“Which would explain why they haven’t had ‘die, fags’ sprayed onto their door yet by the chavalry.” My words didn’t make condensation clouds in the crisp morning air.

John’s did. “People aren’t always as shit as you’d think.”

“That’s easy for you to say.”

His face remained neutral, but I could see it was hard. He looked me dead in the eyes, and after a moment, said firmly, “No. It isn’t.”

“You’re right. I’m sorry.”

He sighed. “No, don’t worry. You didn’t mean it like that.” He sounded tired. If you really looked, even through the smiles and the pleasant notes of his voice, John was always tired. Neither of us slept that much (he more than I perhaps, but he was constantly waking up) but neither of us really mentioned at. It was just one of those things we had in common and I shouldn’t have been glad about.

He smiled again.

He put a hand on my shoulder.

I smiled back.

I was starting to lose my head.

So, terrible as this truly is, I was ecstatic when something terrible finally happened to somebody that half term.

A/N- Okay, I get that that was horrendously short but I kind of wanted to add a short introduction to the second part of the story.  Just as proof that there IS going to be a second part. I've already started the next chapter, so please vote and let me know what you think so far!

Love always, Harper