Chapter Sixteen ☆

Start from the beginning

Eliza's mind replayed the close call with David, that heart-pounding moment when his teeth nearly sank into her neck. The image of him transformed into a mystic was still vivid, his wide-eyed fear etched into her memory. He hadn't looked corrupt, just scared and desperate.

Stacy's sudden appearance in the midst of all this didn't sit right with Eliza. Her gut feeling told her that Stacy's reasons for searching for David weren't entirely what they seemed. Despite the outward worry, there was a hint of something else in Stacy's eyes – a hidden agenda, perhaps?

Eliza sized up Stacy, trying to read between the lines. The color-shifting eyes were a giveaway. Eliza had noticed those changes before, a telltale sign of a shifter. It was a secret Stacy wasn't keeping well, and Eliza felt a slight edge of advantage in this encounter.

With arms defensively crossed, Eliza took in Stacy's demeanor, sensing the unspoken tension in the room. It was like the air was charged with unexpressed thoughts, a mix of uncertainty and suspicion. Eliza felt like she was standing on the edge of a cliff, not knowing whether to trust the ground beneath her feet.

"Um, no, I haven't," Eliza replied, even though the truth was different. She knew revealing David's mystic transformation could potentially ignite a storm of emotions in Stacy – anger, fear, or even recklessness. The last thing Eliza wanted was to add fuel to the fire.

A heavy silence lingered, as if the truth they weren't saying was the elephant in the room. Eliza sensed Stacy's facade was starting to crack, revealing hints of the worry she held for David. It was a complex situation, like a puzzle with missing pieces that Eliza was trying to assemble without knowing the full picture.

Dawn's fidgeting, arms crossed in solidarity, mirrored Eliza's own unease. Their silent communication spoke volumes, a shared understanding that this wasn't a straightforward situation. The tension was palpable, like static electricity lingering in the air, ready to spark at any moment.

Eliza's thoughts raced, trying to decode the enigma of Stacy's motives, the mystery of the shifting world of mystics, and the shadows that seemed to lurk just beyond their vision. It was a world they were only beginning to scratch the surface of, and Eliza had a feeling that their lives were about to get a whole lot more complicated.

"I've answered your question. Now answer mine," Eliza stated firmly, her arms crossed in a display of resolve.

Stacy's response was quick, as if she'd been preparing her answer. "I did already. I just wanted to see why you guys haven't been on campus."

Dawn's skepticism wasn't hidden. "And you care because?"

Stacy's frustration bubbled to the surface. "Because I'm not this bitch everyone thinks I'm supposed to be! I don't want to disappear too. People are missing from our university. You two would know this if you haven't been skipping classes. Why are you guys acting so weird?" Her hands gestured in exasperation, but then she turned her attention to Eliza. "Isn't your last name Rose?"

The combination of her knowledge about Eliza's personal details and her appearance in their home sent a shiver down their spines. "You know where I live and my last name? Yeah, you're not a creep at all," Eliza retorted.

"My boyfriend is part of a student organization. You would think I did my research on you," Stacy justified herself.

"So what if my last name's Rose? What's it to you?" Eliza's voice carried a touch of suspicion.

Stacy glanced around the room, seemingly searching for something. "Why don't you have any roses around this place? It could help with the smell."

Eliza held her tongue about the single rose hidden in Dawn's room, not willing to reveal that to Stacy just yet. The atmosphere was charged, tension crackling between them.