Chapter Fifteen ☆

Start from the beginning

"Well, that was rude," Eliza commented.

"Don't mind him. He's not the easiest," her mother defended.

"It's funny how you can't even tell your own daughter that you're dating someone."

"Your life is separate from mine."

"Clearly. So why do you keep getting involved in mine? If you're so keen on keeping secrets from me, maybe I should just change the locks to our condo." Eliza's mother looked at Dawn and then back at Eliza, seemingly unaffected by the sharp remark.

"As long as you're alive and safe, that's alright with me. I came here to see if you still had the rose I took from you when you were little."

Eliza struggled to accept it, but her mom was truly changing right before her eyes. Eliza couldn't share what Miss Canary had revealed about her mother's growing corruption. Maybe she was already in the midst of it? She had no clue how to guide her mother back to purity. Everything felt overwhelming. Unanswered questions lingered, and she felt lost in the face of this abrupt transformation.

To avoid a confrontation, Eliza resorted to lying. "I thought you broke the stem of that rose that day." In truth, the rose had burned into red ash on the bookcase shelf. After encountering Miss Canary, Eliza had placed the rose there.

But what was the significance of this rose?

Eliza observed her mother's eyes scrutinizing her face, searching for hints of any knowledge about the flower's whereabouts. Eliza evaded her gaze, clutching her broomstick tightly. Her grimoire caught her eye, resting on the couch in the living room. Her mother's boyfriend picked it up, leafing through its pages.

"It's not so easily destroyed. It's a special rose, and I need it," her mom stated.

"For what?"

Her gaze swept around Eliza's home. Then she turned and walked over to her boyfriend, who tore a page from the book. Eliza bit her lower lip, her attention shifting to Dawn. Dawn's eyes darted towards her room, followed by a subtle nod. It seemed like she was signaling that the rose was in her room.

How did Dawn have the rose when Eliza didn't?

The sound of books crashing to the ground and couch pillows tumbling filled Eliza's ears. "What are you doing?" she exclaimed, rushing over to them. Her mother's boyfriend wasted no time – he shoved Eliza onto the floor, causing her to land on her rear with a grunt.

"Eliza, are you okay?" Dawn's voice carried concern as she rushed to Eliza's side, helping her up.

"She'll be fine," Eliza's mother laughed, dismantling the bookcase. "It's in here somewhere. I know it is," she muttered under her breath.

Books were hurled around, and then her mother stormed into the kitchen. The sound of shattering glass reached Eliza's ears. She rose, stepping into the midst of her mother's chaotic fury. Seeing her mom like this was painful. This boyfriend had truly changed her, and not for the better. Miss Canary had said that she sensed he was the root of all this trouble.

"Mom, what has this guy done to you?" Eliza pointed at her boyfriend, who was now pacing around the counter. Her mother glanced up at her, her palms covered in cuts from the broken glass.

"I want to help you." Eliza pressed her lips together. "Please, stop this," she implored, taking slow steps towards her mother.

"I need to deal with someone, and if you don't have the rose, then stay out of my way. I don't have time for games." Her mother shoved Eliza aside, causing her to collide with the refrigerator.