CH 36: The Boys & Pathetic Comebacks

Listen to Havana by Camila Cabello//Told You So by Miguel

Chapter 36

"No thanks!" I held my hands up in surrender when she parked her black pajero taking up two spaces. It was a beautiful day and the sun shone brightly lightening my mood.

"What! Why?" She yelled incredulously pulling at my loose curls for fun as we got off and began walking to the entrance of the school making me poke her in the ribs to let go of my hair that still had traces of glitter.

A girl in the junior grade grunted out loud tooting her horn when she wanted to park beside Jay's car until she saw both our faces, she plastered on a happy smile and drove off to the back to look for another space.

"That's what I thought," Jay shooed her fingers in the girls direction making me roll my eyes at her meanness. Pushing her shades over her blonde hair she looked at me expectantly waiting for an answer chewing loudly on a piece of gum.

"Firstly, you did not help me in my maelstrom food fight against Abbie," I ticked off from my forefinger, "...secondly, my brother is still mad as hell at me," I looked at her knowingly.

"And thirdly, if it doesn't work out, the schools gonna call my parents this time, I might even get suspended!"

"Chicken-" I heard her mumble under her breath waving at a few girls in a passing car with a fake smile.

"What'd you say?" I put my hand at my ear.

"Nothing," she shook her shoulders innocently.

The outside of school was buzzing with all the different groups from the potheads to the Asians to the other minority groups that were all catching up, telling stories about their weekend.

The soccer boys were kicking around a ball at the stairs leading into the entrance. A few of them catcalled and Bryce Myers, the soccer captain and ultimate player boy shot Jay a sultry head nod biting his lip, his brunette hair flipping in the wind. He was the kind of boy that knew he was a walking Greek god and used it to his advantage.

"Desperate alert," I commented not paying attention to them. Jay however shot Bryce a not so subtle wink making them cheer and pat his back like he'd already snagged her.

"No, not the soccer dudes! You could catch a sexual disease just by breathing the same air as Bryce Myers!" I groaned loudly holding my books closer to my chest as we walked in the middle of the corridor.

The bustling crowd made way for us parting like the Red Sea. The stares followed along with the choruses of morning or hey.

One of the rare joys of being friends with the popular kids is that everyone's expected to be nice to you. Well, those that cared about their high school social status anyway.

She chuckled loudly. "Relax! I was only kidding! From now on I'm done with trying out relationships and commitments."

She flicked her hair behind her shoulder as we turned the corner exposing the dark bruise on her neck from that night in the library.

"I want a no strings attached kinda thing-" she said with air quotes squinting her eyes as if imagining who it could be with.