8. Alex

Isabelle and Arabella Cordelli^

The clock ticking on the wall, patients complaining, sneakers against the tiles, and papers from magazines ruffling were all you could hear in the halls of Boston Medical Center. It's been over two weeks since the shooting and nothing has changed. Andrew, Casey, and Matt haven't visited once since the incident and it hurt to know that they hated Riley so much that they didn't give a fuck if he made it or not. Ryder and my parents were the only people who visited, my friends on the other hand have been staying with me, alternating between each other, keeping me company as I didn't know anyone aside from Isa and Bella. 

"Any news?" Ryder asked as he walked over and sat beside me handing me a cup of hot cocoa as I shook my head.

"Nothing. The doctors said that they're doing everything they can to save him but he's gone into cardiac arrest a good five times since he was brought in" I murmured looking down at the cup in my hands as my chest ached at the mere thought of losing him. Even if we weren't dating or anything of the sort, Riley has become one of the most important people in my life and one of my best friends. He's always there for me whenever I needed someone to talk to, someone to make me laugh whenever I was feeling down or just to keep me company.

The thought of him dying pierced me in the chest like a knife. I don't want to think about a life without him in it.  The sound of a loud ringing filled the silent room making me look up as Isa and Bella both stood up seeing their mother rush down the hall looking fear stricken.

"Mama" they called out in unison but their calls were ignored as Dr. Cordelli went into Riley's room. Fear enveloped me in a tight grip making my heart shatter. What if it was happening again? The speaker overhead kept repeating the same thing over and over again and it only made me fear the worst all over again.

"What if it happens again?" I heard Isa whisper to her sister, well tried to whisper considering they were only a few feet away and it was hard not to hear what they were talking about.

"Mama will bring him back as she did before," Bella murmured back. We sat in the waiting area for god knows how long before Dr. Cordelli was coming back out with a relieved smile and tears rolling down her face making us look at her.

"Mama?" Bella asked as she and Isa walked towards their mother with questioning gazes.

"Is he okay?" Bella asked and their mother nodded making relief wash through me. Ryder was right there beside me to catch me if I fell. He's been the only sibling who's been at my side through this whole thing.

"He's awake," Dr. Cordelli said making my head snap up to Ryder who had a giant smile on his face he looked down at me with a look that said 'told you so' I felt my lip quiver as tears stung the back of my eyes. He's awake. After 14 days in a coma, he finally woke up.

"He made it,Rye." I whispered looking up at him and he nodded.

"He did, kiddo," he murmured kissing the top of my head as I cried against his chest.

"How is he doing?" Ryder asked Riley's mother who smiled at us.

"He's doing good. Sore but he'll be okay. Would you like to see him?" She asked looking at me and I swallowed the lump in my throat as I looked at her with wide eyes, "Riley has been asking about you."

I blinked and looked at the girls and Ryder who nodded with warm smiles.

"Go on, Alex. We'll see him later,"Isa said and Bella nodded while Ryder pushed me gently toward the doctor who smiled warmly. It reminded me so much of Riley's that it had my heart beating in my chest.

"Right this way sweetie," she said and led me down the hall toward Riley's room. 

~~~~~