7. Riley

Mr. Cordelli and Dr. Cordelli^

One moment I was laughing and joking around with Alex and his friends and the next I'm throwing myself over him as the sound of gun fire erupted through the open field of the carnival. Screams and people running was all I could hear and see from my position. My back burned as the bullet hit me and I looked down hoping beyond hope that the bullet didn't go through and hit Alex.

"Stay with me," an unfamiliar voice yelled as a flash of white light flashed through my eyes and I went from being face to face with Alex on the carnival to being in an unfamiliar place. Tall trees reaching the sky were all around me. The sky was bright, much brighter than the sky I knew. The sound d of birds taking flight over head was different from where I came from.

"HELLO?!" I yelled as I walked further into the woods, in the distance I could hear voices calling my name and telling me to stay with them but I wanted to see where I was and so I walked further and further until the voices faded into nothingness.

"Hello? Is anyone out there?" I called and I could hear the sound of a stream nearing as well as the sound of a guitar playing. Laughter followed shortly after and I furrowed my brows.

"Hel-" I began to say when I cut myself off upon seeing the people before me. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat as tears welled up in my eyes. Sitting on a rock with their feet in the water were my grandparents, Jeremiah and Crystal Cordelli, my father's parents, sitting in the grass near the stream were Lilly and Joshua Cordelli, uncle Jaime and my dad's older siblings. They were just as breathtakingly beautiful as my grandmother. Aunt Lilly had a head full of black hair and hazel green eyes while uncle Joshua had a head full of curly blond hair and caramel colored eyes. They all looked up when I stepped through the woods.

"Ciao, Riley" My head snapped back to my grandparents who looked so much younger than I remembered. (Hi,Riley)

My grandfather was a tall man at 6'1 with shaggy blonde hair and caramel colored eyes. He had on a white shirt with jeans that were rolled at the ankles and was barefoot. They were all barefoot to be clear.

"Nonno, Nonna" I whispered as tears rolled down my face and my grandmother gave me a warm smile while grandpa stood up and laced his guitar down before walking towards me and took me into his arms while I cried. My grandparents were my heroes growing up and the day that they passed away was like my whole life died with them. It's been exactly six years since they died, only months apart with my grandmother passing before him.  (Grandpa, Grandma)

"I miss you guys so fucking much," I whimpered as I looked up at him before looking over to his wife who had tears in her eyes

"Language Riley," she said and I gave her a watery smile. She was one of the most important women in my life. She always knew what to say to make things better. Knew how to make me laugh when all I wanted to do was cry whenever my dad had to go on tour or when my brothers joined the army.

"Mi dispiace, nonna, mi manchi così tanto. cosa è successo a un Cordelli che non dovrebbe mai arrendersi?" I asked looking at them and they sighed giving me sad smiles (I'm sorry, Granny, I miss you so much. what happened to a Cordelli should never give up?)

"Era il nostro momento di andare, Riley, ma non è ancora tuo." My grandfather said as he sat on the rock beside my grandmother while I stood in front of them. (It was our time to go, Riley, but it's not yours yet)

I swallowed the knot that formed in my theatre at his words

"Didn't you promise a certain person you'll always be there for them?" My grandmother asked, her voice soft and I nodded,"Then why aren't you fighting to go back?"