-twenty-one-

21 | Who Cried Wolf?

"Taehyung, turn yourself in", Taehee says sternly. Taehyung scoffs, crossing his arms.
"You met with me last week about this and again this week? When will you drop it—"

"If you turn yourself in, I'll get the revenge for the both of us and I mean it. I'll bring down Song Haejin and anyone else who hurt us", she responds quickly, the coldness and unknown determination filling up her voice. "I'll do whatever it takes Taehyung, as long as you do the right thing"

Taehyung smiles slightly, sighing and puts down his cup of coffee. "Are you still doing this to protect Wonwoo? Because it seems like—"

"I don't want to protect Wonwoo anymore. He wanted revenge on me and I hate him utterly for it. I was such an idiot to think that he would actually like me but now that I know, all I want to do is get revenge even more. Now, I'm determined to bring down Haejin"

He nods, biting his lip and looks at his younger sister. "It's nice that you know how I've felt but Taehee, do you think I really killed Ilhyun, Moondeok, and Kwonbi? Do you really believe that?"

"Then how would you know their names, Taehyung? Nothing adds up. At least if you turn yourself in, it'll be part one of knocking down Haejin from her podium"

"True, but I guess no matter what I can't change you mind, huh", Taehyung sighs, leaning back in his chair. Taehee bites her lower lip, nodding. She hears him chuckle, the bitterness filling up his voice. "And why do you think that I killed them? What proof do you have?", Taehyung tilts his head.

"Not only the confession you gave me proved it, but you were the last person to call Ilhyun before he went missing", Taehee says. "I even have the number with me, look", she fishes the piece of paper out of her pocket, sliding it to him. Taehyung picks it up, reading the ink on the paper. He chuckles, shaking his head which confuses Taehee.

"What's so funny?"

"You got the wrong number. My number ends with a 7, not a 1"

☼☽

"Wonwoo, are you okay?"

"Why did you tell her, Mingyu?", Wonwoo asks, looking down at his coffee as they sit in his office.
"Look, I'm sorry but a police officer should tell the truth to help someone. They shouldn't make the person feel at fault for something they didn't do"

"But couldn't you have lied? Couldn't have you kept it a secret? She doesn't talk to me at all and every time I want to talk to her she walks away. I think I'm going insane without her", Wonwoo looks up, gritting his teeth.

"My job is to protect, to serve and to have justice prevail. Is there something so bad about that?", Mingyu asks, looking down at his hyung. "What's so bad about doing something that's right?"

"But can't you see that I'm breaking? Because of you? Can't you see that—"

"Didn't you see her break because of you, Wonwoo? She deserves to know why you hated her, and what's so bad about that? Did you just want to lie to her about your past saying that you hated her because of Minyoung, not because of something she couldn't prevent?"

"Mingyu, what type of friend are you? Why would you do this to someone who you've been friends with me for our entire lives—"

"What type of friend am I? What type of person are you?! Don't blame me for something that you could've stopped! I told you numerous amounts of times not to but now....now you're just blaming people for something you did. I wanted Taehee to know everything for her sake, for your sake because you know why?"