Volume 2, Chapter 3

Nick looked at the picture. He wanted to burn it. He wanted to burn it with his eyes. 

“Mr Jillian says that you had business with this girl, named Stella Robbs. Who is she? I’ve read the contract. What did you want from her?” his father demanded. Nick did not reply and his father raised his voice, “Bently Aswald was with her before he died. Did you kill Mr Aswald?”

Nick stared at his father in shock. Her words rang in his head. Revenge. Suffering. That was what she wanted. He had tainted her innocence and transformed her into a murderer. 

His mother took his father’s hand and said calmly, “Nick would never do that. He is our son.” 

Anthony took a deep breath and said slowly, “I need an explanation, Nick.”

“I didn’t kill anyone,” he replied, still staring at the picture of the girl.

“I need an explanation,” Anthony repeated and flung several pictures of the dead Bently at Nick. Nick saw the pictures fall onto the ground and Stella’s picture fall on his foot. If he had a heart, it was aching. If he had a soul, it was crushed with sorrow. He went in and out of hatred and anger, dejection and rejection. Memories stung him as they passed through his mind before vanishing into thin air.

“I thought she was different,” he muttered as he tried to dig up those memories that haunted him, “I thought that she was from the legends.”

Anthony knew exactly what Nick was talking about. He knew that his son was fanatic over that legend. He knew that there was some truth in the book and he had tried for years to pretend that it was merely fantasy. Anthony knew clearly who that girl was. Nick did not have to explain who she was.

“Do you believe that she is from the legend?” Anthony began and stared at his son hard. 

“Yes.”

“Does she know that she is from the legend?”

“Yes.”

Anthony’s vision blurred. He had to kill the girl. She was a threat to their kind and she knew her ability to kill them. Yet, he knew that his son had loved the girl dearly. The signs were clear. There had been instances when a souleater found pieces of his soul and felt certain human emotions. He knew Nick was special- he always had a certain human touch in him that Anthony detested. He wished that his son would be as ruthless as him, as blind as he was to morals and as cold as he was to humans. Yet, this time, Anthony was unsure if killing the girl would drive his son to insanity. He could not lose his son. He could not lose the final bloodline of his family.