The Big Game

( Do spam me with your reactions in the comments, I enjoy those)

Thud

All heads turned toward the team captain who just slammed his hand flat on a locker.

Distraught faces atop red basketball jerseys glued their gazes on him. He smiled. They looked at each other, confused.

" Listen guys," Keith called loudly, standing at the door and his body assertively composed, " I know I haven't been the perfect team captain, or the perfect classmate to some, but I want you to know that I'm proud of the progress we made. We're a great team and I believe we can win tonight, if we work together. I'm sorry if it took so long to say. But let's not dwell on the past, or think of the future. Right now, we got butts to kick."

The locker room fell so silent they could hear a pin drop; it wasn't every day they heard their captain giving a pep talk. Shortly after, somebody roared in excitement and the rest followed.

Lance clapped, approving of Keith's decision to be supportive at such a time. He even offered him a smile which the boy returned, only making his inevitable following actions harder.

" Team!" Shiro's voice blared from the hall outside, ushering them to join him before the game started. Their stomachs twisted and their heartbeats raced, but there was an unseen communication between them- good vibes that resonated from one player to the other- as they walked out to join the assistant coach.

" Keith." Lance called out in a low voice.

" Yeah? Something wrong?" The boy asked, ceasing his movement and turning back to his teammate.

" Before we go out there, I wanna tell you something."

Keith stared at him, his brow arching upward, and when he didn't speak, he decided to speed up the pace of the conversation.

" Well? Tell me."

" I wanna apologize for a lot of things..." Lance said so quietly that Keith had to walk closer to hear him. " Starting with the fight up until the lunch incident, I may have stepped over your personal boundaries or something... And the notes. Those were mean, but I'll have you know I just wrote the loner one."

Music echoed from the gym, mixing with people chatter and the voice of a student commenter over the microphone. Keith appreciated the apology, but something was rushed in the whole situation, it felt off to be having a moment that required special attention- especially for the two of them- while they should be warming up with the others.

" I guess I'm also sorry for tonight." Lance admitted, slowly moving to stand on Keith's other side.

The team captain smirked.

" A little competition to see who scores the winning goal, huh?"

The brunet had walked to the door as Keith spoke, and held onto the knob.
" Something like that." He smiled, although it looked guilty and it was slowly disappearing behind the blue colored wood.

" Wait! Lance, no!"

Seeing Keith's face distort in realization, he shut the door and locked it twice.

The boy got to the door too late. He held the door knob and twisted, he slammed his fists on the wood, he kicked, he pleaded. He wasn't even sure Lance was still on the other side. His screaming was drowned by the sounds from outside.