Tuesday 1

I wish I could drop out, Keith told himself as he pushed the school door open.

He fumbled with the leather of his gloves while heading to his locker. A surprise was waiting for him there.

"Spoiled brat." "Assistant coach's pet." "Psycho." "Loner."

All of these, in addition to others, were notes on his locker. Upon hearing a few laughs, he ripped them off and tore them to shreds.

Later in English class, he was sleeping on the desk while the teacher analyzed an excerpt from a story.

" People who get angry at each other over silly things are usually the ones who care about each other the most." She explained

Kill me now, Lance thought to himself as he glanced at the back of the class. Smirking, he tore a paper from his copybook, crumpled it and threw it on the sleeping boy's head.

Right on target, I'm the finest sharpshooter there is!

Keith moved his head but remained asleep. Lance started crumpling another paper.

" As we've learned from the story, the concept of liking or disliking someone is perspective. Consider the common example of holding a stereotype about a group of people.  Imagine that you firmly believe that the group is made up of humorless, angry individuals.  All it takes is meeting one person whose behavior even remotely confirms your stereotype and you walk away from the encounter with an even stronger stereotype in place, thinking about how you should have seen that coming." She walked in between the desks, looking left and right at every student.

Lance nodded in understanding when she reached him; it was one of the rare times he meant it. Reaching the last desk in the class, her hand lightly nudged a mess of dark hair. Keith lifted his head, red marks on his face from the sleep and a disoriented look in his eyes.

" On the other hand," she continued, "meeting an individual who does not match our stereotype comes to us as a shock. Our mind keeps giving us excuses and theories to keep the person within stereotype, which is basically like not giving them a chance to show us who they really are, isn't it?"

Everyone, including a sleepy Keith and a bored Lance, let out a tired yes.

The boy with the mullet was hit by another crumpled paper, this time right on his forehead; it jumped down on his desk. Knowing where it came from, he took the piece of paper and aimed at the neatly arranged brown hair two seats to the front.

Keith, still groggy from the sleep- or at least that was his excuse for himself- missed. Lance had laughed and quietly taunted him, but didn't throw any more papers.

At lunch time, Keith walked in the cafeteria feeling all eyes on him. Roland and Natalie smirking in one corner, the other students giving him looks. His hands started to shake.

He spotted Lance sitting with Hunk on their usual table and awkwardly walked up to them, keeping his gaze on the ground

" Lance." He called out, the boy turning to look at him with a risen brow.

" You got a death wish, Mullet?" He spits.

Keith felt horrible hearing his own words against him. His stomach was in knots and his teeth dug into his lower lip. Hunk was looking him up and down, ready to protect Lance if necessary. Not that Lance looked like he needed it right now, in fact, he seemed to be asking for a fight.

The air hitched in Keith's throat and for a couple of minutes, no words would come out.

" Cool story bro, we don't have all day..." Hunk said, shrugging and going back to his food.

Lance's expression softened, just when he started to speak.

" Uh... Did you... Write the notes on my locker this morning?"

- " I had some help from our friends Natalie and Roland, but I'd be glad to take all the credit."

Lance's soft features turned dark again, smirking at him. "Why? Was little Keef hurt?"

The boy in red noticed a few others were listening, anticipating a fight maybe. He gulped slow and hard, it took everything in him to turn around and leave.

" That's right! Go to Mommy. Nobody messes with my boy Lance!" Hunk shouted after him, in all sarcasm and humor.

Little did he know, Keith's muscles contracted and his heart sunk.

" Hunk! He doesn't have parents." Lance whispered to avoid being heard.

Oh but, Keith heard. And he heard Hunk in shock and starting to apologize, feeling pity for him along with Lance. Some students asked about it, maybe so they could use it against him, he thought. The secret he tried to cover up for the past three years in Garrison High was finally going to be out. He felt vulnerable, open for attack.

Everybody has a breaking point, and that was his.

Author's note

Chapter dedicated to MissGreekGeek for voting so much!! Yayyy you guys are growing and I love you so muchhh

The information that the teacher was explaining was mostly from Google. I researched why we hate people and the concept of rivalry cuz I'm hella interested in those.

Also, you know that saying of how writers mistreat their characters? Lmao. I'm so sorry for what I'm doing to Keith but it's all for a reason I HOPE and I have a psychological reason for lance's behavior as well.

I'm actually dumbfounded over the amount of reads and the votes! It's keeping me motivated to write you can't believe how grateful I am.

Please keep voting, ily.