The Other Mathews

I gasped and threw myself to the side and landed harshly on the ground at the last minute as the car’s horn blared angrily at me. The tires of the car still squealed as the driver slammed on the brakes and finally came to an abrupt stop twenty feet of me.

My heart was pounding with adrenaline from almost being run over as I stood up and dusted my buckling knees and work skirt off. My gaze traveled over to the car.

Smoke was flying every which way from the burnt tires and the smell of rubber filled my nostrils as the driver flung himself out of his car in the middle of the road and gawked at me.

“What the bloody hell were you doing?!”

I jerked back with wide eyes and took in the boy who had almost made me road kill. It was him. Jasper.

“M-Me? What were you doing? You almost ran me over!” I argued, narrowing my eyes at the audacity he had to be yelling at me when I could have been killed.

He glared and left his car to walk closer towards me, leaving his driver side door wide open and his vehicle in the middle of the road with the headlights still shining in the night.

“Why are you out strolling this late? I couldn’t even see you when I drove past!” He roared, now standing in front of me with angry eyes and his jaw and fists clinched.

Looking at him face to face, his spiked hair was lighter than I originally thought. It was almost white. And his eyes that I thought was emerald, was a dazzling, light jade. They were the most beautiful, yet freakiest eyes I had ever seen in my life. Everything else I gathered last night in my vision/dream was still accurate. He was muscled, he was magnificently beautiful, and he was still glaring at me.

“I-I, um,” I cleared my throat and crossed my arms over my chest, “I don’t have to explain myself to you, it’s a free country and I’m free to walk the street at night if I please.”

Jasper rolled his eyes and mirrored my crossed arms stance, “Don’t be a git. You shouldn’t be out here by yourself, at moonlight, where no one can see you when they drive past.”

I ignored his pointed star and threw my hands up, “Maybe if you wouldn’t have been speeding, Mr. Speedy Gonzalez, then you could have seen me and not have tried to run me over!”

He and his brother were more alike than I first figured; both of them told me I shouldn’t be out in the nighttime.

As Jasper shot daggers at me with his eyes, I pondered about what just happened. So the screeching tires in the vision I had, was the same tires that had almost sent me six feet under. And I’m guessing he had just heard me say his name in his car (somehow), and I’m just assuming that when he had looked towards the sound of my voice saying his name, he had ran off the road and nearly became a murderer.

“I wasn’t speeding,” He grounded out.

I raised my eyebrows at him and he snarled, “Oh, bloody hell, I don’t have to explain myself to some girl.”

I laughed humorously as I gazed at him, “Don’t say it like I’m ten years your junior, I know you and your brother can’t be that much older than me.”

His face hardened at the mention of Arian, “So it’s true.”

I blinked at him and scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, “Uh, yeah, we’re around the same age, pal.”

He waved a dismissive hand at me, “No, not that.”

“Well, do tell, what are you going on about?”

Jasper didn’t answer me but instead just looked at me. His eyes stayed on mine for a moment before they drifted further down, taking in my already pizza stained uniform and name tag. I could have sworn the side of his mouth tilted ever so slightly, but I was sadly mistaken because as soon as I spied it, the tilt was gone in an instant.