Awkward Situations

Garret had claimed the second biggest bedroom while I was gone… fart muncher.

            So mom helped me pack my stuff to the third biggest room, which wasn’t so bad because I had a balcony outside my window.

            “Lord have mercy, Mack, I told you before we left to only pack the essentials! I said we could get the rest when we settled in.” Mom huffed, setting the last box on my bed.

            I chuckled and threw myself on the bed in front of her, “Has the grease from the pizza gone to your head, Mother? You know I can’t just pack the essentials.”

            She rolled her eyes and hit the bottom of my shoes with her hand, “Don’t I know it. Go to bed, rest. Tomorrow I’ll call the school and register you.”

            I groaned, “School? Mom, that’s so twentieth century. Now days, you can get a job without a high school diploma!” I set up and put my hands behind me on the bed as I winked at her, “It’s called prostitution.”

            She gawked at me for a moment before chuckling and hitting me on the top of my head, “Don’t even think about it, kid.”

            I laughed and said, “Hey mom, do you think I could go to the store tomorrow and get some paint? This house needs a little spicing up, don’t you think?”

            “I don’t see why not,” She nodded, “But you have to take your brother with you.”

            I gave her a blank look, “Crazy-mommy-who-thinks-I’m-going-to-agree-to-such-terms, says what?”

            Mom smirked, “Think of it as sibling bonding time, new place, new chances and attitudes, right?”

            “Mom, he’s such a buzz kill.” I groaned.

            “Funny, he says the same thing about you.”

            I looked at her with raised eyebrows and she laughed, “Just humor me, will you, honey? One day, that’s all I’m asking.”

            I shrugged my shoulders, “Whatever, but good luck getting Mr. Grumpy to cave.”

            “I don’t need luck, he’ll agree.”

            “You’re in denial, mom.”

            “Now who’s the buzz kill?”

            I chuckled, “Goodnight, mother.”

            Mom gave me a hug and kissed the top of my head before walking towards my new bedroom door, “Night, Mack.”

            The sound of a soft click filled the room covered in moving boxes.

            I sighed and moved all of the ones that was on my bed and put them in the floor, before pulling back the covers and settling in. I forgot to thank mom for setting up my bed and stuff while I was gone, so I made a mental note to do so tomorrow.

            The white, damp, ceiling gazed down on me and I sighed.

            A whole day with my brother tomorrow… this sound be fun.

~*~

            I woke up to the sound of my mother screaming.

            I dashed out of my room, ran into a shirtless and ruffled Garret, and both of us ran down the stairs.