Near Collision

It was a girl.

            Her fiery, long red hair blew in the breeze; adding frizz that she already had too much of to her luscious locks.

            Her nose, which was sprinkled with freckles just like her cheeks, scrunched with laughter at something the older woman had said.

            She tilted her head back and let her chuckles free and the sound of it made my vision-self shiver. The older woman smiled at the fire colored haired girl who looked close to my age, and she re-arranged some flowers in her flower booth set up on the side of the road; one I recognized when Garret and I had driven past moments ago.

            The girl handed the woman bills of money and received a bouquet of yellow daises in return. “Thank you, Jennet. Mamma’s gonna’ love these!”

            The red head tilted her neck down and inhaled the flowers with her eyes closed in delight. The woman chuckled, “Anytime, Scarlet. You tell your mamma I said happy birthday, now, you hear?”

            She nodded, “Yes, mam. Thank you again, I’ll see you on Sunday!”

            She started to walk away with a smile as the flower salesman bid her goodbyes to the red head as well.

            I watched as the red head, Scarlet as the flower lady had mentioned, started to walk across the road, paying no mind to the coal truck that was gunning her way.

            Her attention was too caught up in the daises to hear everyone’s shouts of fear.

            “Scarlet!”

            “Hey, look out!”

            “No!”

            That last one came from my mouth, as the coal truck driver laid down on his horn and Scarlet finally looked up… but it was too late.

            The last thing I heard before I came to was the sound of tires squealing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

            I came to with a gasp and my brother shaking my shoulders roughly.

            His eyes were wide with worry and fear as he and a worker gazed at me, “Mack! Snap out of it.”

            I let out several breaths as I met his stare and tried to calm my erratic heart beating. “I have to go.” I rasped.

            Garret’s eyebrows furrowed, “What?”

            I shoved the buggy away before making my way past my brother and the worker that was probably wishing he’d have stayed home today instead of dealing with strange customers.

            “Mack! Stop, where are you going?!” Garret yelled after me, but I paid his frustrated tone no mind as I rushed by confused customers and hurried out of the store entrance.

            I only had mere moments to get to her, one of the many downfalls to seeing these god-forsaken visions. They were time sensitive. If I didn’t make it to Scarlet in the nearest seconds, then the vision would play out and I wouldn’t get to save her.

            My breaths heavily echoed down the street, which was a tell-tell sign that I was nowhere near in shape. People dodged out of the way when they saw a crazy girl hurdling towards them (smart people), and soon the flower stand and Scarlet came into view.