Locker Room Encounters

Lunch with Ben and Scar was interesting to say the least. They had taken it upon themselves to point out the people to stay away from, whispering in hush tones as they huddled closely to me and pointed discretely.

            “And to the right of us you will see the pot heads, the dreamers of the school. And also the reason why the snack machines seem to stay empty around this place.” Ben stage whispered, sounding like a tour guide for a bus on the African Desert.

            Scar snorted and I held in a giggle as she nodded towards the left, “And over to the left, you will find the wildlife divas. Please no feeding the snobs, they might gain an ounce.”

            Ben chuckled and high fived Scar behind his back as I shook my head with laughter. I gazed at them, “What are you guys considered?”

            Scar smirked and glanced at Ben, “Well Benny Boy here is considered the lion of preserve, and everyone worships the baseball star.”

            Ben rolled his eyes as the shade of red crawled up his cheeks and Scar continued, “As for moi, I’m the lone wolf. I don’t really have a pack, though sometimes I navigate to the nerd table,” She nodded her head behind us, “If I’m feeling lonely.”

            “Even though she knows she’s welcome at my table anytime,” Ben interjected.

            “Sure,” Scar rolled her eyes sarcastically, “The bone heads sure make me feel at home when the first thing they ask me is if I could get them out of community service. Everyone knows that it’s impossible to do if you’ve been caught with alcohol on school property!”

            “Garret and Jack?” Ben asked bashfully and Scar threw her hands up.

            “Who else is dumb enough to try?”

            I chuckled at them as the bell rang, signally class change.

            We all gathered our trays and dumped them before Scar asked, “What class do you have next, Mack?”

            I pulled my schedule out of my bag and glanced at it, “Physical Education.”

            Ben whistled and Scar looked at me pitifully, “Ouch. You’ll have P.E. with all of the snobs. Everyone else took it their freshman year except them; they took it this year so they didn’t have to take an extra math class.”

            She snuck a glance at my schedule and smiled, “We have sixth together, and you have seventh with Ben”

            Ben smirked at me and I smiled at them before tucking the piece of paper back in my bag, “I guess I’ll see you guys latter then, thanks for lunch.”

I waved and we each went our separate ways.

            When I walked into the gym, everyone was already warming up on the inside track, stretching their arms above their heads and standing up trying to touch their toes.

            They soon stopped though when the gym doors slammed closed behind me, echoing throughout the large room and causing their attention to snap towards my arrival.

            “Yes?” A bald, tall man asked, walking towards me wearing a track suit and whistle swinging around his neck.

            I handed him my schedule, casually sneaking nervous glances in the other students’ way, and he nodded before signing it off.