The House Next Door

We were moving again.

            Though for once, it wasn’t because my freaky ability… it was because mom got a promotion.

            “It’s going to be great, Mack! Just you, your brother, and me, spending time in the country! Who knows, maybe this will be our last move?” My mother said in her sing song voice, which was the tone she always used when she was trying to sell us shit.

            “You mean like how Georgia was supposed to be our “last move”, or how Texas was supposed to be our “last move”.” I said sarcastically, starring out of the car window and into the side mirror to see my brother’s truck behind us.

            Garret didn’t even half to come; he had graduated two years ago and was supposed to be on his own. But instead, he stuck around and mooched off mom and I. Apparently his hatred for me didn’t matter when he was broke and needed a place to stay.

            Mom sighed, “Honey, we talked about this. We had a deal! No attitude until we get to the new house.”

            Mom held up her pinky, basically telling me that I had pinky swore which meant I couldn’t take it back.

            I chuckled, “Calm your nips, Mom. I’m just kidding.”

            She rolled her eyes at my wink and turned up the radio, “What am I going to do with you?” I heard her mutter under her breath.

            My eyes zeroed in on the road sign coming up ahead. Welcome to Pocahontas County, West Virginia, population 6,554.

            Wow, congrats Mom, you’ve moved us into isolation.

            Mom gave her signal to turn left into a gas station and I watched behind us as Garret did the same. “We’re almost out of gas; I swear, the moment we’re settled into this town, I’m going to get a vehicle that doesn’t guzzle gas.” Mom griped and I chuckled as she climbed out of the car.

            “That requires money, Mom. Something we don’t have much of.”

            She turned around and gave me an exasperated look before rolling her eyes and slamming the door in my smiling face.

            I got out of the car and reached for the nozzle, my eyes catching Garret’s while doing so.

            My brother still hasn’t gotten over what happened three years ago. I mean his attitude has lessened its hatred and everything, but you can still tell that he doesn’t like me that much.

            I turned away when Garret followed inside after mom, and put the nozzle in the tank and waited until they turned the pumps on.

            The town was beautiful, I’ll give it that. I’ve never seen trees this green, and I probably sound like such a creeper, but honest, they were healthy green. And the air was filled with the scent of fresh pine cones and fallen rain, rain that probably came from yesterday considering that the blue sky wasn’t filled with a single cloud.

            Mom usually re-located somewhere where it’s always hot. Arizona, Texas, Florida, California. Somewhere that’s flat and will have your fat rolls sweating. But West Virginia has mountains, and not just rocky hills like California had, but actual full, green and wild mountains. The climate wasn’t too hot, nor cold, but the right amount of breeze and humidity. I closed my eyes as the said wind whispered through my dark brown hair and the wind chimes hanging from the gas station’s wooden porch.