i'll keep you safe & sound - part 2

"How is she doing today?" you ask, your arms crossed over your chest. Your body leant against the frame of the entrance's door, your eyes trained on your little girl who was silently playing by herself.

The teacher, who you knew as Ms. Cabello, nodded her head with a delighted hum. "She's been doing fine with the other kids. It's just the other kids I'm worried about these days," she admits, tugging her lower lip between her teeth. The image caught your eye as you couldn't help but watch the plump skin release with a quiet pop, the sound awakening you from your trance as your eyes returned their attention to your daughter. Mariella had currently been drawing, her small hands scribbling random shapes of all sizes in different colors. You grinned at the sight, admiring the big, brown eyes and the curly hairs that sprung from the top of her head.

"My daughter's a tough girl, believe it or not. She may cry, but she gets over it as fast as it comes," you say aloud, letting out a sigh as you push away from the wall. "You know how kids are. They're worried about one thing and move on in seconds," you say, chuckling quietly to yourself. You politely excuse yourself to make your way over to your daughter, your hands covering her eyes in surprise while you kneeled behind her. The tiny girl squealed in delight, her hands attempting to pry your hands away. "Guess who?" Just by the sound of your voice, Mariella was able to recognize it.

"Mommy! You scared me!" Mariella exclaimed, eventually freed from her blocked eyesight as she spun on her heels to envelop you in a hug. You laugh, your arms dipping down to wrap around her small waist.

"Aw, I'm sorry, baby!" you say, a playful pout on your lips. Mariella's eyebrows furrowed for a moment, shaking her head several times.

"No, mommy! I was kidding!" Mariella mimicked the pout on your face, although genuinely feeling that she had done something wrong. You chuckle at her concern and shake your head, bringing the girl impossibly closer to you.

"I was kidding too, baby. Don't worry. What are you drawing there?" you ask curiously, taking a seat on one of the small stools to peer at the color-filled sheet of paper. At the question, Mariella perked up in her spot and turned around to pick up the piece of paper to shove in your face.

"It's Christmas trees!" she announces proudly, a grin displaying all her baby teeth in alignment. You nod enthusiastically, pulling your face away a bit to take a better look at the piece of art.

"Wow! You used the right colors too! It's beautiful, baby. Great job!" Mariella giggled at the praise, latching her arms around your shoulders once again as you took the time to notice the attire you had chosen for her that morning– a cute, little sky blue sundress with white stripes on them. You recalled to have done her hair too, which was strung up in a half up half down style, the lengths of her wavy hair curtaining her fair-skinned face. She was absolutely adorable. You heard that all the time when the two of you would walk through grocery stores and shopping centers. It was only natural to receive a compliment directed towards you and your daughter, and you knew that someday in the future, she'd be a heartbreaker– to boys and girls, of course.

Mostly distracted, you hadn't acknowledged a pair of dark brown irises staring in your direction, swirls of admiration and awe in them. "Mommy! Hurry, you sign me out fast and I'll go get my backpack!" Mariella says after awhile.

"I would think you'd want to stay and play a little longer, baby." You chuckle, noticing the hesitation in your daughter's face but she shook her head once she made a decision for herself.

"I just wanna' watch movies and eat that yummy food we had before! Please! That was so fun," she begged. You sighed, knowing it'd be much too hard to decline that kind of request from your beautiful daughter.