18 - HEAVEN IN HIDING

[ warning: mild sexual references throughout chapter ]

"Woah, you're really doing this, huh?" Lillian Peters was curled up on the smooth leather couch in the apartment across from her own. The curtains were drawn tightly shut, the nighttime almost a distant thought with the lamps flicked on and a romance movie playing on the television. Her friends; Juliette Allen and Blair Suen were seated across from her, sharing a bowl of popcorn which had turned cold. The last twenty minutes had been filled with Juliette confiding in them both about the plan to finally take down her father. A man that had ripped apart her world with playing a part in getting her parents killed and stealing the company that should belong to her. 

Juliette Allen heaved out a tiny sigh of relief, knowing tomorrow evening her life would begin again, would in a weird way, start over. She would finally have the revenge that haunted her life and would get peace. She would be allowed to live the life that was fated for her. "It's happening, yes. After years of living in darkness with that unknown cloud hanging over my shoulders, it's coming to an end. I'll be free from Markus O'Harris."

"This plans sounds...risky." Blair voiced her own opinion quietly, fiddling with her framed glasses. Honestly, she adored her friend more than anything but there was a doubt in the back of her mind. "Some biker and private investigator helped with the plan to take him down. That sounds a little sketchy, Jules."

A silence rocketed between the three women, "Well, I trust them. Without their help, I would have nothing to use against him." Juliette explained further, too much hope flooding in her chest tonight. "He's working with a mob and funnelling in weapons. That's not the kind of man that should be allowed to win all the time."

Blair nodded, "I know."

"He killed my parents because my mother could never love him back," Poor Juliette's words were getting stuck in her throat, having to rehash old wounds. She knew her friends were just worried but they had no reason, everything was finally falling into place. "He stole our company because of greed. All that needs to be accounted for."

Lillian grabbed a handful of popcorn. "Well, I can't wait until we get the chance to see his creepy face on television, every news station covering the arrest of Mr. O'Harris and how he'll be spending his remaining days locked away for his crimes. It's the perfect ending for a sad story." The dark skinned girl paused, realising her choice of words. "I mean, not a sad story, it'll have a happy ending. They always do."

"A happy ending." Juliette repeated the words, testing them on her lips. 

Blair shifted forward, giving her friend a tiny smile. "Maybe a happy ending with a man named Matthew Murdock?" Both her friends knew the ache that swirled in pretty Juliette Allen's heart with the very mention of him. It had been far too long hiding her feelings, not sure if the timing was ever truly right. "That sounds like a great ending to me."

Juliette could not agree more, "He's really great, you know?" It was not the first time she had spoken about the man that was inked into her heart like a stain. "Burdened with great demons but with a heart worth fighting for."

"Aren't we all a little burdened with demons?" Lillian noted, her fingertips hovering over the deep scar that sat near her collar bone, a reminder that some men were cruel and life did not always turn in your favour. But that was something she had overcome and was stronger because of it. "You know what, Jules? I think you should call him. Right now."

The blonde laughed quietly, "Why would I do that?"

Lillian was already pulling her friend towards the phone that sat upon the wall. "Come on, you've been pining over him for months and hell, we all he's madly in love with you too, I'm very sure about that."