14 - THE WAR OF A HEART

Cloud covered the busy city, leaving a blank haze over everything. The sky was undecided, much like young Juliette Allen, who's own head and heart were at war, leaving the poor woman completely riddled with uncertainly. She had wandered the streets the following day, making her way towards familiar ground of her church. She wanted guidance, she wanted somebody to tell her what exactly to do, because everything was too cloudy right now.

Matthew Murdock had confessed something so dark in the late hours of the night. He had opened his heart, allowing her to glimpse upon the true haunted nature that had divided his soul for many long months. Naturally, the confession stilled her heart and caused her mind to reel with questions, too many questions that scared her deep down. A few things fell into the large puzzle that had taken root in her head with his words last night. Like how he could fight the way he did, so effortlessly like it was woven into his bones. How sometimes, Matthew would be busy without much of an explanation, also the bruises that littered his pale skin. A lot of it made sense now in the light of day. 

Juliette was driven down the middle, her heart beating in blue and loss with the very truth demanding to be heard in the passing hours. Last night, she had hurried home before her tears had become too heavy. The apartment was empty, allowing her to wallow in sadness and confusion alone. The poor woman had sat at the bottom of her shower, the cold water hitting her shoulders as her lips parted with sweet prayers sent to the heavens above, begging for answers and comfort. No answers had come that night. 

While trying to ease the pain in her chest, she found herself heading towards a place where her confused heart might become a little clearer. Inside the old church, she sat up the back in a lonely pew, staring up at the alter. Her fingertips touched the crucifix in the hollowness of her throat. "For you are my rock and my fortress; For your name's sake, you will lead me and guide me." The words echoed from her lips, asking for guidance with what to do. 

For so long now, Juliette Allen was trying to be a better person, a good person. She had turned to something high above to help ease the darkness that echoed in her life. With her parents' death, with the truth coming out about Markus O'Harris. Now, the confession from a man she was sure she could love hung over her shoulders. She honestly felt like Matthew Murdock's soul was like her own, painted in past horror, but deep down pure. But now, she was not so sure. 

His nightly actions were not painted in goodness. His ways in seeking justice and revenge were definitely not smiled upon by God himself. Daredevil met mens' sins with blood and violence. He indeed created some sort of justice for others, but it was not the right way. Not the way Juliette Allen wanted to live her life, not in the way she wanted to love a man. It was a question maybe as old as time; did the violence of men, the deeds committed in the darkness to right a wrong, were they approved by God? Were the motives behind the blood and pain, were they justified enough to have a place in heaven? 

Those were the hard questions that circled around Juliette's Allen mind for a man she wanted to love with everything inside of her. But could she truly love a man like that? Could that man love a woman that went against his Devil's work? 

***

The heatwave in the city was breaking when Juliette finally found herself back at Nelson and Murdock. Long days had passed since the night at Matthew's apartment and there was a strange ache in her chest, knowing he might be inside the building and she was not sure how she would react or how hard seeing his face might be on her heart. 

"Jules, hey! I'm glad you could make it." Foggy Nelson was smiling brightly. He hadn't seen her in what felt like weeks but despite the happy reunion, he did not have good news for her. Lately, her case against Markus O'Harris had hit a dead end, nothing more they could do legally. But he had one more idea up his sleeve. 

Juliette was giving him a tiny smile, her eyes skimming the empty offices. Karen's desk was empty too, which was a little strange. "Yeah, sure. No problem." Her voice was quiet, her hands tightly clenched around her bag's straps. She followed the lawyer into his over crowed side office, noticing the lights switched off in Matthew's office. "Um, is Matt not around?"

Foggy had noticed a strangeness with Matthew lately and he had a feeling it had to do with pretty Juliette Allen and maybe the reveal of a secret. But he didn't push the subject, knowing his best friend was dealing with a few things lately. "He's busy, actually."

"Oh, okay...and Karen?"

The lawyer took a seat, his shoulders rising and falling with the question. "Karen's been working a bit with the newspaper lately. So, it's just us today."

It felt lonely, being in the office without the rest of the legal team. Juliette couldn't help but feel like there was an increasing distance between everyone now, a river of secrets that kept growing and growing and soon, the banks would overflow and nothing but ruins would be left. "Right, that's fine. What's up? Did you find something that we could use against Markus?"

Foggy sighed deeply, hating how their hard work had not been able to pay off yet. "No, actually. We've been doing everything we can in trying to find a mishap in his company conduct, even his personal life but...he's a man that's very good at keeping secrets." The lawyer watched as his friend's eyes fell to her hands, defeat clear as day in her body language. "It seems we've reached a dead end legally, but I do have another idea. Which isn't morally great, but it's something that could help you."

Juliette glanced up, "This doesn't have anything to do with Daredevil, does it?"

He laughed quietly, that being the only sign he needed to solve that riddle. It was very clear now, Juliette Allen knew the secret Foggy had been burdened with for months now too. "No, this has nothing to do with him. I know somebody else that could help us. Well, I've not met her personally...but she's apparently the best in the business. She could get us some information on Markus O'Harris. She's a little unstable, but it's worth a try."

"Wait, a private investigator?" Juliette asked hastily. Foggy Nelson nodded his head with her question. The idea hadn't even crossed Juliette's mind before, but her biologically father had already played dirty with this war for the company and revenge. Maybe it was time she got her hands a little dirty too. "Alright. What's her name?" 

Foggy smiled, "Jessica Jones."